Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suddenly: sound error; no sound device  (Read 2195 times)

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Suddenly: sound error; no sound device
    « on: March 16, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »

Hello:

Suddenly today I got this message when I tried to play a music file.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

Then I realized that none of my sound players would emit any sounds. And, instead of the "start up" sounds coming from the speakers and headphones, there is just a little beep from the computer itself.
     When I go to Control Panel and click on Sounds and Audio Devices, it says No Audio Device.

I don't know what made this happen or how to undo it. I have a webinar conference today and need to have the audio for it.  Also, I can say that I did a complete virus and malware check (AVG) and there was nothing found.

I think that when I signed up for the webinar (Cisco Webex) a file was uploaded that nulled my sound device. At any rate, I would like to fix it. Would a "system restore" do? I don't know how to do that but I've heard about it.

Unfortunately I don't know what my "sound device" was originally. I think it came with the Mother Board and stuff.

Thanks for any help, as quick as you can.

In peace
    Dr. D'Elia

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Suddenly: sound error; no sound device
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:47:35 AM »
    Look in Device Manager - any errors?

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:50:19 AM »
      Nvidia WDM Video Capture Universal has a yellow explanation point beside it. Does that mean something?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »
      First thing you want to do is download and install the latest driver for that device.