Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Undetectable hard drive  (Read 1770 times)

a1a2

Undetectable hard drive
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »
I'm having issues with one of my desktops that runs Windows XP.  It has two internal HDs (one is a Seagate and the other is a Western Digital).  During a lightening storm three days ago, the computer restarted and since then it has not been able to detect the Western Digital HD. When I tried to start up the computer, it was stuck on "Detecting IDE drives". I opened up the computer and saw that the Seagate HD was set as the master and the Western Digital, the slave. When I removed the Western Digital HD, I was able to boot up the computer from the Seagate HD (as I previously used that to operate Windows 98 on the computer and that OS was still installed).

Is there any way to repair the Western Digital HD? It is completely undetected by the computer. If there is no way to repair it, is there any way to recover the data on it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Undetectable hard drive
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
Have you tried that drive on another computer?

Try this: remove the seagate drive and put that WD drive in as master. Remember to change the jumper settings on the WD.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/