Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: More Ridiculous Vista Freezing (different, I promise)  (Read 3366 times)

GalinKinlin

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    More Ridiculous Vista Freezing (different, I promise)
    « on: March 19, 2010, 09:54:11 AM »
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,100621.0/topicseen.html

That is my old thread for my old problem. I don't think the two are related, but if you'd like, you can check it out.

I decided to replace my HDD when I was told it was most likely failing. I had a WD 500 gb passport lying around, so I swapped them out. I put in my recovery disk, and it installed vista. It restarted, installed some more, and started up. I selected some OOBE (out of box experience?) and it did whatever that is, and restarted itself. As it got to the loading bar, it would freeze, give me a BSoD for about half a second, and restart. Consistently. So, I decided to use the recovery disks again (since that was what Vista suggested I do). I recovered, no problem on install, it restarts.. and, lo-and-behold. Black screen. Every time it starts up. The black screen happens right after the HP start-up screen. So, I pressed ESC for my options. I was given these options:

System Information
    System Diagnostics
    Boot Device Options
    BIOS Setup
    System Recovery
    Enter - Continue Startup

First I tried System diagnostics. It gives me these options:

System Information
    Start-up Test
    Run-in Test
    Hard Disk Test
    Error Log
    Exit

System information works. Shows me everything. All the tests test the memory, say it checks out, and freeze at 24% on the Hard disk test. The error log is empty. So, back to the first list again...

System information freezes after telling me my model number. Boot device options and BIOS setup both lead to black screen. System recovery freezes the computer (it doesn't go anywhere, just freezes on screen).

So, I tried the disk. It wouldn't load up. So, I DLed a new vista 64 disk, but that didn't load up either.

Suggestions?

System Information:
    HP pavilion dv5
    Intel core duo T9400 @ 2.53
    4gb Ram
    There is nothing personal here; just the realization of an empty world coupled with the feeling of a full heart.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    Re: More Ridiculous Vista Freezing (different, I promise)
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »
    I DLed a new vista 64 disk
    Torrents?

GalinKinlin

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: More Ridiculous Vista Freezing (different, I promise)
      « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:49:01 AM »
      Yes, I do love a good torrent. But I didn't use the new disk, so the quality of the torrent shouldn't matter. I just mentioned it as something I've already tried.

BUT. I got the computer working. It just... started reading the original recovery disk. I don't know what did it. But now I have a new problem. Everything worked great. Everything. I installed everything, no freezes, nothing. It was beautiful. Then, I closed the laptop, and went to sleep. I woke up, opened it up, and restarted it properly. It froze on load. I sighed, shut it down, and boot it up. chkdsk. It fixed three of four things, and boot up. Froze. The process repeated itself about four times, until it started up and I got a blue screen. Stop error 0x0F4. Every time afterwards, chkdsk ran, said that the system was counting some memory that was free as allocated, and fixed it. It did nothing to change the stop erorr. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Full error is 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0xFFFFF8008A03AE0, 0xFFFFF8008A03AF8,  ) Or, most of it, at least. It stopped showing up. Now it won't pass the dskchk. It's trying to check drive d, which is my recovery drive. Which is empty. It won't let me skip it either, it just freezes.
      « Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:38:35 AM by GalinKinlin »
      There is nothing personal here; just the realization of an empty world coupled with the feeling of a full heart.