Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Facebook lag?  (Read 2797 times)

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Facebook lag?
    « on: March 21, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »

If my sister's PC (wired) is on the same LAN as me and I'm on wifi laptop (router) and she's watching a HD stream (480p) on YouTube and I'm trying to have a FaceBook chat, will her actions actually affect mine or add some lag to FB chat? I'd like to know.

I'm not sure but I think the web works with multi-threading of sessions (at least in most server side languages?) so I don't know if that applies everywhere (meaning one thread not having problems of another thread's lag)? In TCP packets?

Anyway would like to know.

Cheers!
    Treval

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Facebook lag?
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »
    Streaming video will always take over the rest of the net by default as not to lag in realtime! This is really annoying when playing an online game, or on chat, etc. It will swallow most the bandwidth until fully loaded.

The best option is setting up quality of service (QoS) on your router. This will depend on your router to the quality and how to go about setting it up, but will be in a tab on the admin login. Can be complex to setup correctly also depending on the router.

There are varies types of QOS as well, so you need to find out the best option for you.

QOS basically adds numbers to the packets sent over the net, then you can give priority to some applications/ports over others or even computers. This way you can setup your games and chat, etc, to run before the video, websurf, and put last priority on emails, etc.

Facebook chat is however done with ajax so its all port 80 im afraid, so it's like normal websurf which is harder to give priority too.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Facebook lag?
    « Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »
    if your connected to the same router, you have to share that connection. The router sorta decides which connections are more important if your Internet connection is to slow to accomodate it all at once, sometimes you can change this via QOS in the router config (Quality Of Service).
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.