Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot do a restore, always says it fails  (Read 2835 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Cannot do a restore, always says it fails
    « on: May 11, 2010, 06:12:38 AM »
    I installed updates for NVidia GForce 6100 yesterday.  After installation, the size of icons, words, web pages, desktop, etc., changed to much, much smaller.  I have been unsuccessful in trying to change it back so decided to do a restore before the update.  I have chosen 3 different restore points and each time it tells me it has failed, choose another restore point.  Any ideas as to what I should do?  Thanks in advance.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Cannot do a restore, always says it fails
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:23:46 AM »
    Gotta love system restore. It's great - until you need it. That's why I recommend that EVERYONE use a disc imaging utility on a regular basis.

How are you trying to change the resolution size and what happens when you try to make the change?

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »
      Allan, I do not know how, but I got it changed back to the way it was.  I was changing Display (1200x800 or whatever the numbers) and the sides of my desktop were black, no picture displayed on the whole screen.  Could not get it to display correctly, but now that I have it back, I wish I knew what I did.  But what is a disc imaging utility?  I'm somewhat computer stupid, so everything needs to be explained.  Thanks!

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »
      Try system restore from Safe Mode.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
      Allan, I do not know how, but I got it changed back to the way it was.  I was changing Display (1200x800 or whatever the numbers) and the sides of my desktop were black, no picture displayed on the whole screen.  Could not get it to display correctly, but now that I have it back, I wish I knew what I did.  But what is a disc imaging utility?  I'm somewhat computer stupid, so everything needs to be explained.  Thanks!

Apparently, this was a problem of improper resolution setting after installing the new video driver.  Sometimes, resolving such problems can be done easier by starting in Safe Mode.