Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this a Sign of a dying Graphics Card?  (Read 4966 times)

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

Is this a Sign of a dying Graphics Card?
    « on: March 25, 2010, 06:14:06 AM »
    I have W7 64bit & NVIDIA 8800GTS and this entire problem gradually got worse in order:
    1. I always had this problem; I had a black screen for short period of time when the windows got to the desktop after a boot up.
    2. After 10 minutes of playing wc3 the balloon on the taskbar would popup saying “display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered” and another popup which I can't remember every word but said “windows kernal 185.5 driver problem”.
    3. After 10 minutes of using the computer "display driver has stopped responding and could not recover" in BSOD.
    4. When I boot up windows it says in BSOD "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed”
    5. The POST has white lines across the screen.
    6. Can only fresh install windows XP 32bit but without any display drivers installed. As soon as I install the driver that came with the CD or Online the screen turns into reddish paintball effect and keeps on restarting and coming back to the reddish desktop again.

Things I have tried:
    1. Fresh install of windows 7. It works half-way but When the PC requires a restart to go to the desktop the first time it displays a BSOD.
    2. Installed the latest driver from NVIDIA website for my 8800GTS Windows 7 64bit in Safe Mode.
    3. Installed the display driver from the original CD in windows XP 32bit but that lead to BSOD .
    4. Cleaned the dust in my PC.
    5. Checked the fan of the Video card, and took out the video card and stuck it back in.
    6. Uninstalled the NVIDIA display adapter driver in Device manager but when windows detect it and reinstalled the driver the BSOD appeared.
    7. Rubbed the gold plate on the Graphics Card

Things I am going to try:

1. Replace my Graphics Card with my brothers to see if my Graphic Card is faulty or not(need to find out if they are compatible)

what is says on BSOD:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
    Check with your hardware vendor any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

The technical information:
    ***STOP: 0*00000116 (0*FFFFFA80019F0010,0*FFFFF88003BC16C0,0…
    ***nvlddmkm.sys – Address FFFFF88003BC16CO base at FFFFF8003AF1000, Datestamp4a0c8387
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

You can see the picture of BSOD, lines across my screen and paintball effect here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48698505@N04/

So should I ask my local computer store to solve the problem or should I do it online? which is faster and cheaper? This is really frustrating because I should be doing my assignments and not this! :'(
    « Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:39:20 AM by Heinstar »