Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I configure Outlook to send, but not receive, email?  (Read 3660 times)

kaley

Can I configure Outlook to send, but not receive, email?
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
I work as a part time administrative assistant for a professor at a University. In the past, he has sent and received his University email through Outlook, and his administrative assistants have sent, but have not been able to receive/read his email, through a Eudora account on a separate computer. Our university made major changes to the network this past week, and Eudora no longer works in this capacity, and the campus IT people state that we can no longer use Eudora, and that it's not possible to use Outlook in this capacity.

Well...I'm not accepting 'not possible' as an answer just yet! Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how I can configure Outlook to function in this way? Would it be possible to just forward the email through the office computer Outlook account to my boss's computer, and delete it on forwarding? He's concerned about privacy, obviously. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Can I configure Outlook to send, but not receive, email?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »
Don't all faculty have a unique email address, such as [email protected]?  Does the university use Microsoft Exchange Server, for Outlook?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:57:30 PM »
They really need to get this issue resolved internally. If members of the institution take matters into their own hands, the result will be e-mail anarchy.

Here is some information the IT head should think about.

Top alternatives to Microsoft Outlook  < link
By Michael Palamountain, Enex TestLab on February 25th, 2009

If you're using a Microsoft Windows operating system there is also a good chance that you use Office and Outlook as your email client. But is this really a choice?

More than likely it was a default option; the software is there, so why not use it? Why? Because there might be something out there that suits your needs far better. Other email clients can be highly customised to suit particular industries and may include options not available in Outlook.

How much you can expect from an email client depends on your company size and procedures for communication. For example, many organisations must have shared calendars, while other companies can be quite efficient with individual calendars.

The university may wish to consider IBM Lotus Notes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Lotus_Notes
Notes/Domino is a cross-platform, secure, distributed document-oriented database and messaging framework and rapid application development environment that includes pre-built applications like email, calendar, etc. This sets it apart from its major commercial competitors, such as Microsoft Exchange or Novell GroupWise, which are generally purpose-built applications for mail and calendaring that offer APIs for extensibility.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:10:08 AM »
If members of the institution take matters into their own hands, the result will be e-mail anarchy.
Are you saying the professor is trying to "take matters into his own hands"?  I don't see anything odd about a faculty member expecting to have some privacy in their email.  Indeed, I believe that's the normal situation.

Or, are you saying kaley is take matters into her own hands?  I don't see that either.  She's just questioning the validity of what the IT dept. has said.  I think I'd also be questioning it; it doesn't smell quite right.

The university may wish to consider IBM Lotus Notes..
I don't think that's necessary.  They already have Outlook, which means all staff members also probably use Microsoft Office. I don't believe Lotus Notes offers any substantial advantage over Outlook used along with an Exchange server.

kaley, perhaps you could discuss this with administrative assistants in other departments and see whether they do things the same way as in your department and whether they also take issue with the new system implemented by the IT dept.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
soybean,
My suggestions were meant to encourage them to work together to find a common solution. The IT department needs to be transparent to the users. This is not a business with a strong central authority, it is an university with much  diversity in concepts,  methods and practices.

It may be necessary to get a new IT manager if he does not understand the issue here. It is not about fining a solution that he likes, it is about finding a solution to satisfy the needs of the greater number. On the other side, there are some IT people  not happy with the limitations and quirks of the Microsoft e-mail client and server. Maybe they are right.

EDIT: As to the original question, Yes, Eudora can be the POP client and the SMTP can be done with Outlook . Or that is what this article seems to say:

Eudora Changes Default MailTo Handler

It offers a Registry change so that EUDORA is no longer does the SMTP.
I do not know if this works. There also may be other possible solutions listed in a Google search for "EUDORA OUTLOOK". It seems many users have similar problems using the two together.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:07:35 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »
This is not a business with a strong central authority, it is an university with much  diversity in concepts,  methods and practices.

What is this supposed to mean ? ?
Do you work for that University ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "