Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Challenging Crash?  (Read 9497 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: A Challenging Crash?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 01:42:54 PM »
This is nonsense.

Most of what is in his posts is generally nonsense, and he gets upset when others call him on it.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 02:38:02 PM »
I went into BIOS and I seen "Basic CMOS" and "Advanced Chipset Features" I looked under both of these... CMOS didn't say anything about "Advanced Chipset Features" or VGA. So I figured in this case "Advanced Chipset Features" at the begining is probably what you were refering too... "Advanced Chipset Features" had everything under it Enabled but didnt say shared or VGA. It had these listed.

Intel EIST          [Enabled]
Intel XD Bit        [Enabled]
Intel VT              [Enabled]
Intel VT-d           [Enabled]

which one of these should I disable to disable the shared memory, if its possible.
Gateway "minimal BIOS" doesn't let you do much.  I see no mention of the BIOS in any of the documentation.  Online documentation is weak.  I would think a computer that powerful should be able to run anything without any issues.
I think you're going to have to contact them.
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX/FX6800/FX6800nv.shtml

I do see a recent BIOS version, but I would hold off on that until you hear from Gateway.
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=FX6800

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
This is nonsense.
Most of what is in his posts is generally nonsense, and he gets upset when others call him on it.

And you always just grin and smile hiding behind someone else Allan, having to have ya say. Like the time someone said thanks that was helpful, solved the problem to me and you say to ignore it, lol. What about the time when someone questioned you, you just say do what I said to him! pff

I don't get upset if people call me on it, I get upset with the morons like you that spend all your time looking for the smallest things and not even saying anything to fix it or help out solving the problem. Yet you call yourself an Admin?

Have you actually tried it? I didn't say there's an issue with mixed format, for example one FAT32 and a NTFS drive, but if you end up putting the swap file on the other hard drive than the operating system, it has a fit swapping it across the two which can even become unstable.

Anyway it was just another option and probably not clearly written.
Aaron's Game Zone
The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
Thank you so much for the info. I have the ATI HD4850 and my power supply is a 450W I had a guy tell me "Thats the bare minimum for that Graphics card you should get a 650W". he didnt tell me any suggestions on what to get. I will be looking into some forums to find whats a good power supply. Thank you again.
PSU wattage ratings are a joke and mean almost nothing.  Some manufacturers add all outputs together and claim that's the wattage.  Almost no PSU can produce max current at every voltage listed.  If you haven't added any power hungry devices to your Gateway, the standard PSU is sufficient.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 05:36:16 PM »
if you end up putting the swap file on the other hard drive than the operating system, it has a fit swapping it across the two which can even become unstable.

This is even more stupid nonsense than you wrote before, idiotboi Azzaboi. I think it is time you poured yourself a nice tall cool glass of STFU.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »
This is even more stupid nonsense than you wrote before, idiotboi Azzaboi. I think it is time you poured yourself a nice tall cool glass of STFU.

His advice has so far been questionable at best...
However given time that may change...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 07:19:07 PM »
It hasn't been called a "Swap file" since windows 3.x. Maybe 9x, can't remember. in NT it's a pagefile. Pedantic, yes. I just want to be a part of the excitement.

Gotta love how quick some people turn to ad hominem attacks though. "remember the time X happened, and you looked so X, therefore you are X now as well". priceless.

PSU wattage ratings are a joke and mean almost nothing.  Some manufacturers add all outputs together and claim that's the wattage.  Almost no PSU can produce max current at every voltage listed.  If you haven't added any power hungry devices to your Gateway, the standard PSU is sufficient.

This is true, so it leaves the Graphics card, since we've tested the memory.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
 Mr Trout...

For stupid nonsense, it actually has happened in the past, ages ago, I believe it was on Windows XP... but what have you suggested? It was only one of many I suggested to solve the issue at hand. Yes I guess you could say it's a "remember the time X happened" like BC_Programmer said. Sorry I called it a swap file rather than pagefile. If it's happened before can't it possibly happen again, just trying to cover different areas. Also if you used NTFS over FAT32 you would have a better system and performance, but ok ignore that part if it's such a big woopee-doo for you!

This forum is nothing but a joke, trying to prove who's the biggest geek, rather than helping out people with their problems. Freaken microsoft lovers with no virus scanners, thinking they are secure, lol.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:11:19 AM by patio »
Aaron's Game Zone

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »
Get over yourself...
If you make questionable comments or give suspect advice be prepared to get called out on it.
If you choose to just label us as fanboyz and not be able to admit your shortcomings then so be it...

This is not the 1st time we've seen it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
For stupid nonsense, it actually has happened in the past, ages ago, I believe it was on Windows XP
Alright then. No idea what you're talking about.

but what have you suggested?

Interesting.

What you suggested is analogous to somebody being mauled by a bear and you suggest they eat a lime wedge. Completely unrelated. mixing NTFS and FAT32 is a performance thing and will not cause the symptoms described by the OP.

The issue is almost certainly the graphics card, not their choice of bloody file system.

It was only one of many I suggested to solve the issue at hand.
In the game of darts, even a blind man eventually hits the bulls-eye if they throw enough darts. Or if they aren't actually blind and are actually a dart hussler.

Also if you used NTFS over FAT32 you would have a better system and performance

And they could probably get better long distance service if they had listened to Deloris instead of hanging up on them. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's issue.

This forum is nothing but a joke, trying to prove who's the biggest geek

Seriously, you really should take the advice of the ol' Contrex, and stop. The best part here is that your first reply threw a bunch of darts at the board, one of then hit it (the graphics card) some people (such as myself) agreed with this and then suddenly your trying to discuss the semantics of different file systems and inventing scenarios where having two different format drives can cause issues.

rather than helping out people with their problems.
Oh yes, of course.

Problem: Computer crashes during GPU intensive operations like games and Video card stress tests.

It's so obvious the problem is that they are using two different file systems on their drives. How could we all be so blind.

Freaken microsoft lovers with no virus scanners, thinking they are secure, lol.

oh. yes. it all makes sense now. we don't agree with your wild claims that file systems that have gotten along for years in all sorts of different configurations causes Graphics cards issues and now we're suddenly part of some global conspiracy that tries to hide the truth that FAT32+NTFS = Video card related crashes. Not sure where Virus scanners comes in. Guess that has nothing to do with anything.

I didn't say there's an issue with mixed format, for example one FAT32 and a NTFS drive, but if you end up putting the swap file on the other hard drive than the operating system, it has a fit swapping it across the two which can even become unstable.
Yes. that's Exactly what you said.

Mixed formated hard drives, like a FAT32 and a NTFS hard drive, it is best to make them all NTFS format, if your 'swap file' virtual memory is on the other hard drive from the Operating System it can cause crashing if the format is different.

Whatever the case, you've just proved Allan so right with your two completely off-topic and meaningless posts.

Quote from: Allan
and he gets upset when others call him on it.

So... Bravo. You've got everybody's attention now. Anything else you like to say? perhaps you'd like to make more off-topic and random quips about how you disagree with how we choose to configure our own computers. because, I think the Original Poster is So totally getting helped by such complaints.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 08:36:18 AM »
BC - this is a 14 year old little boy who desperately wants to sound like he knows what he's talking about and then gets offended when others who DO know what they are talking about won't let him get away with posting nonsense. And like most children, rather than saying "Sorry, I was mistaken" he either tries to defend his (indefensible) position or resorts to attacking those who correct him. So if he chooses to stay here I guess all we can do is continue to point out his erroneous comments to the posters who come here for help and may not know better, and ignore the rest of his childish rants.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 09:02:16 AM »
BC - this is a 14 year old little boy who desperately wants to sound like he knows what he's talking about and then gets offended when others who DO know what they are talking about won't let him get away with posting nonsense. And like most children, rather than saying "Sorry, I was mistaken" he either tries to defend his (indefensible) position or resorts to attacking those who correct him. So if he chooses to stay here I guess all we can do is continue to point out his erroneous comments to the posters who come here for help and may not know better, and ignore the rest of his childish rants.

But it's just so much FUN! And then he spazzes out and gives me SOOOO much more material to work with! Doesn't help the OP though to continue shooting fish in a barrel though.

birthday is 7-27-1994, so he's really 16, despite what his profile says.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 09:03:58 AM »
But it's just so much FUN! And then he spazzes out and gives me SOOOO much more material to work with!
In that case, enjoy ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 09:09:43 AM »
If he is from NZ, he sure puts the 'w' into Kiwi... (That's a joke I guess you have to be a Brit or an Aussie to understand...)

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »
And like most children, rather than saying "Sorry, I was mistaken"

I did say sorry where I was wrong in my previous post: "Sorry I called it a swap file rather than pagefile."

I believe the rest is correct, however badly written, but I said also in my previous posts - ignore it if it's not of value or you don't believe it is.

No where does it say Im 14, says 15 in my profile and yes Im 16 now. So what? You age-ist?

For someone that doesn't know there stuff, I still get thanked by others who have said it worked for them. I do website design, some programming, hacking, tweaking, computer performance, computer troubleshooting, and am a supermod even since I was 13. I also have a photograph memory. Other talents include playing the electric guitar, skateboarding, surfing, karate, and dance. Have a part-time job along with school, applying for a tv series. Big woopee, I don't care for boosting, but since your writing a friggen novel about me.

What did you do at my age, pick your nose?

I don't get pissed off with people correcting me except for you Allan and your unnessary back talk along with it. Thats the only thing that got me started. And what's with the racist joke Trout Man?

ps. congratz on hi-jacking the topic, the person with the problem still has the problem, no help with that...
Aaron's Game Zone