Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drives?  (Read 1966 times)

Jokerman

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hard drives?
    « on: March 26, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
    I am running windows xp but if I install sp3 the computer crashes.  I have decided to do a fresh reinstall but as this would take time and my other half can't wait >:(.

I though about removing the current hard drive (300gb), putting in an old (but working 60gb) hard drive and then start the reinstall, if the wife needs the computer, I can hot swap the hard drives.  Then when the fresh reinstall is complete, I can take an image of the fresh reinstall and restore it to the 300gb hard drive.

But when I opened the case, the 300gb hard drive is a SATA, whereas my old hard drive is a PATA.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get round this?

jacksjacks53

Rookie

Re: Hard drives?
      « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
      Mmm thats abit strange you would of thought that adding in service pack three would only help but anyway here is the link ofr xp service pack three already incorporated into the windows dl

*Link removed*

download this and see what happens  xp pro with sp3 no need for updates

....................enjoy
      « Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:50:35 PM by Fed »

jacksjacks53

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »
        i forgot to tell you it validated too

happy days :)

Jokerman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 02:35:55 PM »
          Went to your link!  Browswer, firewall and AV shut down and a virus started to scan my computer for infections.  AV could not get rid of it, lucky I had an image of my hard drive that I could restore.

I think I will stick to the fresh reinstal, any idears on how to bridge the sata to pata drives?