Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express - Message Not Received  (Read 6336 times)

sammydb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Outlook Express - Message Not Received
    « on: October 02, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »
    Receiving error message for an e-mail in limbo:

Message number 1 could not be retrieved. Account: 'pop.bizmail.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.bizmail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR problem retrieving message.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

All other functions of e-mail are working properly.  Is there anyway to get rid of this e-mail in limbo?  Slows down time to receive e-mails that are working properly.  It is not needed, so it can be deleted or lost, but I don't know how to access it.

We obviously run POP from yahoo through Outlook Express.  Thanks for any help in advance!!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Outlook Express - Message Not Received
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:09:08 AM »
    Why not access your email via web browser, view that problem email message and then delete it?

sammydb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »
      I'm not sure if I'm just not understanding your advice, but the account is setup as a POP3 e-mail address only.  So, I don't know if I can do what you are talking about.

I did switch the account to a Microsoft Outlook 2003, and I received the following similar message as the first:

Task 'pop.bizmail.yahoo.com (1) - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: -ERR problem retrieving message.'

Unfortunately, we are a small firm, and I am the server administrator I guess.  And I barely know what I'm doing and in this case, I don't even have a clue how to resolve it. 

Any more advice or hints?  Thanks.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »
      It's simple, go to yahoo.com and sign in to your Mail account. 

sammydb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »
        Well, for being the first soybean to ever use a computer you are kind of being a little rude.  I'll chalk it up to me not mentioning in my last post that the account is a POP Only account, oh wait, I did.  It does not have an actual yahoo ID to sign in with.  But I've contacted Yahoo! so hopefully they will resolve the issue for me.  However, the first response I got from them was pretty sorry, so I can only hope they can.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
        ... the account is a POP Only account ....  It does not have an actual yahoo ID to sign in with. 
        I have a free Yahoo Mail account so it's not POP and I don't know how Yahoo's POP-enabled fee-based accounts work.  But, most ISP's who offer POP email accounts also let clients also access their email, i.e. their POP email, via web browser.

And, this reference says re: Yahoo! Mail Plus, "You can also access the email via the Yahoo! Mail Web interface." So, I beleive you can access it via a web browser if you know how.  In other words, I suspect this is wrong:
        It does not have an actual yahoo ID to sign in with. 

sammydb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »
          It truly is a POP only account.  There is an option when you first setup these accounts to choose either POP only, or a yahoo! account (where they have to have a valid yahoo! id to access it).  There is no option for opening via web browser.

I appreciate your help, but if you don't have any other ideas, there really is no need to continue posting here.  Thanks.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
          A few things you might check...SSL should be yes and there are alternate ports other than 110 that will work with Yahoo.
          ThunderBird works fine for my Yahoo account but it did not like Port 110 for some reason.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 06:43:46 AM »
          It truly is a POP only account.  There is an option when you first setup these accounts to choose either POP only, or a yahoo! account (where they have to have a valid yahoo! id to access it).  There is no option for opening via web browser.

Come on ComputerHope members, am I the only person who beleives sammydb is not correct on his facts here?  To setup a POP account, you need to put your email address and password into your email client.  That same info, the email address and password, is what you would use to access your email via web browser.  Therefore, any Yahoo Mail Plus user CAN access their email via web brower.

sammydb, show me one Yahoo screen, FAQ, or other reference that states this provision for a "POP only account"?

sammydb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »

Yahoo! was able to clear up the problem by deleting the message at the source.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:01 AM »
            OK, sammydb, even though your reply comes about 1 1/2 years after the last reply.   ::) ::)