Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: freezing, heating up, ram problems  (Read 2873 times)

highwaychilli

Topic Starter

Starter

freezing, heating up, ram problems
    « on: March 27, 2010, 05:24:33 PM »
    I'm having all sorts of miscellaneous problems with my toshiba laptop (satellite a305), and I can't put my finger on the source. I've solved some of the problems, of which I don't now whether some were coincidences or part of the same whole. For example, I have a C: drive and a D: drive. My C: drive had a massive amount of occupied space that I knew I wasn't using. I traced the problem to a Vuze file on the C: drive that had 40GB+ of, absolutely nothing basically. Add to that the fact that I set my Vuze downloads to drive D: (I uninstalled, erased this, and re-installed). To a lesser degree this had happened to me with this program, but it all coincides with some problems I haven't solved yet.

The latters are varied. The most symptomatic problem I'm having is with winamp. It opens usually after several tries. Sometimes it crashes and I'm notified, sometimes it just doesn't open. When the second happens, it's the most troubling. On the task manager, the program doesn't run on applications, but it continues to run on processes (using from 50%, to 100% of the CPU. Certainly 100% if I try to open it more than once). The program also crashes frequently after it's open. I had to look into it to find out this was the reason my computer continued to crash so many times.

Other than that the computer is slow in general. The explorer freezing, etc. (and consider I haven't been running that many things lately, like games, or DVD's, and the few times I've done it it can get very, very slow, eventually crashing). The one thing I've noticed is that the RAM, on the task manager, shows to be using 1.30GB, give or take, without anything running. I have 3GB of RAM. I don't know if that's what Windows Vista uses commonly, but it just doesn't sound right.

Help. Please.

*I forgot to add that the computer is heating up a Lot (heating up meaning to the point that it shuts off). I have a stand fan next to the laptop, at full speed. I don't know if it's hot in my room. But this didn't happen so often.

S1L3NTSN1P3R

Rookie

Re: freezing, heating up, ram problems
      « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »
      To me, this seems like a RAM/Cooling problem? Try running a RAM test by using Windows Memory Diagnostics (after the Toshiba screen, but before Windows starts booting) hit F8, Esc, TAB, enter. You should see the tool on a blue screen running. Let me know if it finds errors. Let it run for a couple of passes on Extended mode. Use F10 to change these options.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: freezing, heating up, ram problems
      « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:53:55 AM »
      How many old topics are you going to revive ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "