Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: usb kills my XP  (Read 3398 times)

Random boy

Topic Starter

Starter

usb kills my XP
    « on: March 22, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
    Hi all

was trying to load up some quality Zappa tunes from an mp3 player I've had for about a year now, but the PC wouldn't read it, just kept seeing it as an empty removable drive,
    So i tried another new mp3 player , same thing.
    i then tried a digital camera (SD card) it also would' read it :-\.

now its gotten worse, when ever i use any usb port on my PC (be it cable, memory stick, hub) it restarts my PC, up until the point XP loads up, then there's a flicker of a blue screen with some writing on it, but that's gone in a split second so i have no idea what it says.
     :-[
    This restarting process repeats itself until i remove the device / cable in question.

I've tried inserting & removing it during start up, but with no effect. Only seems to happen whilst XP is up & running, but i wouldn't rule out some hardware issue . ???

i am using a USB mouse & Keyboard (saitek eclipse ii), but these seem to be largely unaffected by it. i tried swapping them for conventional old PS2 peripherals, but the result was the same.
     :-\

As my music & photo collection are quite dear to me, this is a major pain in my errr neck.
     :P

& i would be most grateful if any of you nice people out there have any suggestions as to probable causes & hopefully solutions  :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: usb kills my XP
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
    Unplug as many USB items that are not needed....power down...and power up again
    Travel to Device Manager...at the bottom of the list will be USB roots and hubs.
    Clik the + sign on the left of each to expand all instances.
    Right clik each of them and select un-install/remove...
    You will recieve a warning message...ignore it.

Upon re-boot Windows will automatically re-install them all.
    Check to see if this cured it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TechGeekandMore

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
      I agree with the solution above, however, NOTE***

On some installs (E-Machine, Dell, Gateway) when you remove the drivers as instructed, Windows will say that it can NOT find the install files because they do not load them on your computer by default.  If that happens you have 2 options
      1 - Check and see if you have an install or driver cd/dvd (I know E-Machine does this). You will need to have that in the pc for the drivers to install.

2 - Go to the website for the pc maker and search for drivers/downloads and the model of your pc and then for USB driver and download and install that. 

I just say in case the info above doesn't happen exactly as explained.  However I do agree that uninstalling and rebooting is your best 1st step.

Good Luck
      Alex
      Head of TechGeekandMore.com
      Alex
      Professional Geek
      Head of TechGeekandMore (TGM)

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:38:55 AM »
      In addition to patio's suggestions, go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings and uncheck "Automatically Restart". Next time there's an error that blue screen will remain up. Copy and post the entire contents of the blue screen error here.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 06:41:39 AM »
      Alex ...it won't do that with USB Roots and Hubs...no matter the manuf.

patio.

Random boy

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
        ok !!! thanks for the excellent responses chaps :)

tried delete / uninstalling the controllers from device manager, but still no joy :(

Allen Last attempt was using a usb memory stick : blue screen reads: "problem detected & windows shut down to protect" etc
        (i think you know the drill there)

gave reason as: "An attempt was made to execute non-executable memory"

Tech data: "***STOP:0x000000FC (0xBAD038E4, 0X0AA93163, 0XBAD03844, 0X00000001)

However my limited knowledge means i havent got a clue, i read a page or two about hexadecimal a few years ago, but i really am lost here.

the saga continues....

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »

Random boy

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
          Ok
          i had a several goes at this (just to be sure) &  i could't find the Mpegport.sys driver, there just doesn't seem to be one on my system.

i did the safe mode - device manager, non plug & play Drivers (view hidden) but its just not there.

i tried the DEP work around too

but still no luck.

i even considered the possibility of a virus of some kind but after some furious scanning nothing was found.

Any further suggestions?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
          Unplug as many USB items that are not needed....power down...and power up again
          Travel to Device Manager...at the bottom of the list will be USB roots and hubs.
          Clik the + sign on the left of each to expand all instances.
          Right clik each of them and select un-install/remove...
          You will recieve a warning message...ignore it.

Upon re-boot Windows will automatically re-install them all.
          Check to see if this cured it.

seagatehater

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
            i had a problem like this on my former laptop....

i charged a portable player on it and after that the usb ports went haywire.

i tried many fixes but figured it was a hardware problem.......tried to play around with the power managemment to the usb port, but all that got me was a hanging machine and buffer overflow errors.

backup data via network......get new machine....sorry i just dont have any helpful advice...and hate to bring bad news!!!