Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with anything that is connected to my PC  (Read 2537 times)

jfry99

Problems with anything that is connected to my PC
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »
A few weeks ago I had a virus that pretended to be a virus scan telling me I needed to get their protection and whatnot, I found a guide online to help me remove the virus, part of it included having to delete the HOSTS file in my windows System32 Drivers Etc Folder and then reinstall the hosts file. I made sure I downloaded the one compatible to XP, I dont know if this has anything to do with it at all or not but since then If I plug my Iphone, webcam, microphone etc, into my computer none of it will work wont reconize it in device manager and device manager doesn't seem to have any problems in it, ive done virus scans including a boot scan with no results

any ideas what might be wrong?

salvosko

Rookie

Re: Problems with anything that is connected to my PC
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
    I would say that virus broke you installation and you have to reinstall PC.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Problems with anything that is connected to my PC
    « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:28:32 AM »
    Just a suggestion.
    Try this. First disconnect everything except your monitor keyboard and mouse. Right click on My Computer and click properties. Then click the hardware tab and click on device manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers list. Right click on and uninstall each hub or controller in this list. Then restart Windows. Upon restarting, Windows should automatically reinstall all of your USB controllers.

Hope this helps

Mike