Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Hard Drive Lost Space  (Read 6672 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: USB Hard Drive Lost Space
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 04:31:15 AM »
Part Magic shows it the same way 50Gb total drive capacity. I was wrong about the original size of the drive though it was 160Gb (once you take into account that its 160,000,000,000 bytes [I think thats the right amount of zero's] then you might as well say 150Gb).

I don't see how make and model would help Commando but if it really matters to you then I will find out (the hdd is currently ~12 miles away from me).

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
...I don't see how make and model would help Commando but if it really matters to you...
The manufacturer's software may help to fix the issue.  Also need to know if this is a drive put into a USB case or if the whole thing is one manufacturer.  If the former, it can be removed from the case and placed directly into the computer.  Given that's a 160GB (which was a standard size), it could be an IDE or SATA as the native interface.  Most USB drives have some kind of converter board inside.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 03:35:50 AM »
Given the size of it, and the fact that it needs it's own power supply. I would say that it is probably a IDE/SATA HDD crammed into a case. However I've never heard of a standard hard drive that requires drivers or software before (unless you count USB storage on Win98<).

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 02:33:55 PM »
...I've never heard of a standard hard drive that requires drivers or software before (unless you count USB storage on Win98<).
It's diagnostic software, not driver software.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287