Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Streaming radio very intermittent  (Read 3836 times)

CardTrick

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Streaming radio very intermittent
    « on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:03 AM »

Given: a measured DSL modem speed of 1.2 Mb/s, a 1 Ghz CPU, 512MB SDRAM, 256K L2 Cache, 400 Mhz frontside buss, in a 10 year old Dell 4100 Computer,  and an up to date XP OS. 

Problem:  When listening to streaming radio stations with iTunes there are constant interruptions of the 64K or 128K stream.

Questions:  Likely source of problem?  Out of curiosity, stream buffering in such an operation (e.g. Buffer size) is controlled by what? (OS? Application such as iTunes?  Elsewhere?).  I'm assuming actual buffer is allocated from RAM but what sets the size and can that be changed through some option?  Or is the problem unrelated to buffer size?

Note:  Am asking for a friend. I don't have actual access to the machine but would like to advise him on possible cures.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Streaming radio very intermittent
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »
    Given the speed you have available to you there shouldn't be any problem with streaming audio. Most likely causes in Windows XP are conflicts with different media players. Sometimes there'll be two or more  players that are trying to easier use the audio output device or trying to be the media player of choice.
    Here are some things you might try. Boot windows XP up in safe mode with networking. See if that makes an improvement.
    Another idea, create a new user profile and log on to the new user. Then try the streaming radio.
    Also, disable or remove any type of media players that you are not using or no longer need. This would include trial versions of programs that read and write CD or DVD discs. Some of these have built-in media players that compete with system resources.
    Of course the obvious, re install iTunes.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »
    How much RAM do you have and free space  on that HDD ? ?
    Have you cleaned out Temporary Internet Files lately ? ?

What website is this streaming thru ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

CardTrick

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 01:57:19 PM »
      He is using iTunes to find radio stations who are operating streaming from their own websites, there are hundreds of them.

In my original post I stated he has 512 KB RAM.  I think he has a 20 GB hard drive that is about 50% full, but I'll have to check further for details.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
      OK.
      An iTunes feed may not be the best choice...consider and check if the stations do an alternate feed...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "