Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No actions for USB-plugged in camera  (Read 3345 times)

Fleexy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• OW NEXT TIME I SHOULD TURN IT OFF BEFORE SERVICING
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
No actions for USB-plugged in camera
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:02:26 AM »
When I plug in my camera to my computer via USB (to get the pictures onto the computer), it does the whole AutoPlay thing (scans for types of files), and then gives me the list of things Windows can do with the drive.  But this list is empty!  I can't open the drive to view files, I can't run the Scanner and Camera Wizard, I can't fo anything!  Attached is a picture of the dialog actions box.  This camera has worked fine with a computer in the past.  The camera is an Olympus and the computer is a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP Home.

-Fleexy

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]
I love .NET!

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: No actions for USB-plugged in camera
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:08:10 AM »
See if this works for you - download & run: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/cleanhandlers_2_4.zip

No guarantees, but it won't hurt anything

Fleexy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• OW NEXT TIME I SHOULD TURN IT OFF BEFORE SERVICING
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »
Thanks you very, very much.  It works!
I love .NET!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:49:49 AM »
Have you tried other USB ports?  Will other USB devices work on the port you normally use for your camera?

Generally, you might have better luck using a USB card reader rather than connect your camera directly to your computer.  If your camera uses xD cards, I suggest this card reader: Olympus USB 2.0 xD-PictureCard Flash Memory Card Reader MAUSB-500 (White)

I have an older Olympus card reader, model MAUSB-200, and it works well for me for the xD cards I use with my Fuji camera.  One advantage of using a card reader is that you never need to worry about your camera battery running low when you connect your camera to the computer and transfer pictures.  If you're not familiar with card readers, when using one, you remove the memory card from your camera, insert it into your card reader, and then connect the card reader to the USB port on your computer.

Oh, I see Allan's solution worked for you.  Still, I recommend getting a USB card reader.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:44 AM »
You're very welcome. Glad it worked for you.