Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Willful Cursor  (Read 2002 times)

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• I have 5 points and I love to flash
    Willful Cursor
    « on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:44 AM »
    When I use Explorer and try to select something from my Favorites, my cursor becomes willful and won't obey.  It floats around, making it difficult to make my selection.  At first I thought it was a mouse issue, but it also happens when I use the touch pad.  The floating reminds me of how the cursor looks when I yield control to a remote service technician, especially when I'm not sure who has control of the cursor at the moment and it turns out we're both trying at the same time.  If I didn't know better I would think the list of favorites was becoming a ouja board and the cursor a planchette.  Any idea what's actually happening here and how I can make it stop?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Willful Cursor
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:58 AM »
    Is that the only time it happens? No harm in scanning for malware with both your anti virus utility AND MalwareBytes

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:06 PM »
      It only happens with "blue e" Explorer.  It doesn't happen with "butterfly" Explorer or with Safari.  My computer has been thoroughly scanned with anti virus after this started happening, but I guess I'll have to try the MalwareBytes.  Thanks, I'll let you know the results.

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
        I'm giving a final update on the problem.

1.  I have two ways to access "Favorites" in Explorer - I don't know what the difference is between these two, but one is an icon of a star, next to which is the word Favorites.  This icon is immediately above the Explorer window tabs.  The other way is just the word Favorites, located below address window, and is among the words "File, Edit, View, etc."  One day I noticed I only had the problem of the willful cursor when I tried to use the star icon.  I didn't have the problem when I used the word Favorites under the address window.

2.  I'm not sure when the willful cursor problem started, but recently I told someone that the Computer Associates (CA) antivirus, etc. service that comes free with Roadrunner was REALLLLLY SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWING down my ability to access my files and to search the internet.  She suggested I switch to Microsoft Security Essentials.  My computer immediately rocketed back to high speeds, and I just noticed that I no longer have the willful cursor problem when I use the star icon to access my favorites.

So, Case Closed