Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Winows 7 always hangs on install  (Read 7606 times)

ChrisG

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Winows 7 always hangs on install
    « on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »
    Hello, this is my first post so here  goes.

This is a simple machine with only the CPU,vid card,two stick memory on Mobo. Here is a snapshot of the machine:

Low Cost homebrew Computer:sort of a copy of a Maximum PC Mags
    economy build.

Hard Drive: Western Dig 1 tb   7k  64m  sataIII

Sony Optical drive/DVD Burner

CPU:AMD Phenom 2 X3 720 Black Edition
    Heka 2.8 GHz  3x512 kb L2 Cache  6MB L3 Cache
    Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor-OEM

MoBo:MSI 790X- G45  AM3 socket

Vid Card:  g-GeForce 8800GT  512MB  DDR3

Memory: Corsair 2 x 2GB Modules  : DDR3  1600mz

PSU:  Corsair 550 W

Monitor: Samsung  Syncmaster 932b

Antec 300 case.

Windows Vista 64 bit hanging in there.

CPU,Mobo,PSU,HD are new and the rest of the stuff was
    Laying about the house.

I originally tried to install a new OEM 64 bit copy of Windows 7 Home Premium on this  new computer and it would go along and load all the files and then  hang on the installing updates. So I would try it again and it would freeze up right at the beginning and so on but never getting past installing updates. You know,when the twirly blue thing stops moving.
    So just for the heck of it I tried and was successful in installing a copy of vista 64 bit home premium on this machine so at least I know that my build does work . I am already using this copy of Vista on my other machine so I can't keep it there for long. So I figured that now that I
    have Vista on this machine maybe it's smoothed out a little bit and I would be able to install 7 over Vista, like Upgrade,NOT. Windows 7 still buggy.
    Any suggestions from all you fine computer experts out there. I have had stuff like this happen before and I have always ended up getting the problem solved but am hoping you guys can speed up the process.

Thanks-Chris   

EEVIAC

Re: Winows 7 always hangs on install
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:46:06 PM »
    I originally tried to install a new OEM 64 bit copy of Windows 7 Home Premium on this  new computer and it would go along and load all the files and then  hang on the installing updates.

What exactly do you mean by "oem"  ?

You cannot use an installation disk that came with a store-bought computer to install on a custom build.

ChrisG

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 05:54:51 AM »
      Thanks for the reply. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer and is used by system builders to load into new machines. I buy it because it's cheaper than the full version. It works just the same but you do not get fancy packaging and little support. In addition I believe you cannot transfer an OEM copy to another machine.

Sorry if I was not clear on my computer,it is a new computer that I am trying to install a new copy of windows 7 on.
      Some of the components are not brand new but the build is and the heart of it is being the CPU,motherboard and  hard drive.

I installed a copy of Vista Home Premium 64 bit just to see if it would work and it did but my goal is still to get Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on board. Possibly the 32 bit version would install just fine, I don't know.
      I must add that the copy of Vista that I installed on my new build  is already being used on another computer that I have and so I have not connected with Microsoft for the latest updates because they would inform me that I am using a copy of Vista already registered to another computer.

Thanks for asking

Chris

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:59:22 AM »
      I know what OEM is..   I was wondering what YOU meant by it.

Where did you get the disk from?

EEVIAC

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:19:06 AM »
      http://www.msi.com/uploads/test_report/TR10_1916.pdf

It could be a memory compatibility issue.

This is the supported memory list for the board..

Corsair is listed, but only in a 1 Gigabyte module

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:56:15 AM »
        I know what OEM is..   I was wondering what YOU meant by it.

Where did you get the disk from?

Not relevant, as the ChrisG clarified what he meant by an OEM disc.

They can be bought from local computer stores, Newegg, Micro Center, Fry's, etc. 

In any case, there could be a number of possibilities:
        1) Bad disc. 
        2) Bad optical drive (unlikely, as other discs work, and genuine Vista and 7 discs are DVDs)
        3) Bad SATA drivers (i.e.: if your motherboard's SATA mode is AHCI, and 7's drivers may be giving you grief--try loading the manufacturer's drivers from a thumb drive during install...or just switch SATA to legacy mode if you want to do that...)
        4) As EEVIAC said, memory compatibility.  You may want to flash the BIOS to address this one.
        5) Bad RAM altogether.  Download Memtest86+ (Google it), burn the ISO to a CD, and boot from the resulting CD. 
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »
        I'm with eeviac on this one...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

EEVIAC

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
        Not relevant

Duh            Thanks anyway, for setting me straight

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:18:24 PM »
        I'm with eeviac on this one...

As far as the RAM being the main suspect...i should have clarified that...

ChrisG

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:13:27 PM »
          You know, you guys are great, it's like having an encounter with the KRELL except I don't think I would live through the boost.

I purchased the Windows 7 OEM disk at Newegg.

I was considering going with 32bit as that may install without hardware hassles and I really don't need more than 6 gigs anyway.  But that does not mean that I will ignore the memory issue. Should I just buy four 1gig sticks of DDR3? Some of the solutions are new to me but will enjoy trying this stuff out. Certainly getting deep into the bios will be something new.

Thanks -Killerb 255,Patio and EEVIAC for your help.

I will keep you informed.
          Chris

EEVIAC

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:45 AM »

Since your board supports overclocking, go with DDR3 800 MHz.  You can probably find some faster DDR3 memory that's not supported in the JEDEC standard, but it's up to you.  Refer to the board manual for proper configuration of memory for dual channel setup.  Generally that means you should buy modules of equal capacity, and install them into the correct "channels" on the board...

I'm not necessarily encouraging you to overclock your system, but it's always good to leave some room..  ;)

I suppose a bios update could help with compatibility but don't get your hopes up.  Your bios M-Flash utility will provide a virtually risk-free method of updating the bios.  Incase the update fails the bios can be booted from a thumb drive.

EEVIAC

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:57:23 AM »
          Just a reminder.. remember to refer to the qualified memory list when making your selection.  I didn't emphasize that in my previous post..

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 06:02:39 AM »
          Just remembered i've seen this before with Viata and 7...try the install again with only 1 stick of RAM and add the other later.

EEVIAC

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »
          lol      I think I remember what thread you're taking about.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 09:19:16 AM »
          It was a 6 pager.... ;D

8)