Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, Windows98SE and Doom95  (Read 11346 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, Windows98SE and Doom95
    « on: April 02, 2010, 09:08:58 AM »
    Does anybody know if it may be worth it trying to play Doom95 (Doom for Windows 95) under Windows98SE, virtualized by Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 under Windows XP Home Edition or Professional Edition?  If it is possible, would it be possible to get mouse support in this case?

I know that Windows XP Home Edition is not supported for Virtual PC 2004, but I read online that it should be compatible.  Since Virtual PC 2004 has no USB support, I believe I'll have to wait until I get a PS/2 multimedia keyboard.  (This is for the Dell computer in the basement.)

I had already tried VMWare Player, and although I was able to get Win98SE to install successfully and get sound working, Doom95 would not play right.  (The game's graphics looked wrong.)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, Windows98SE and Doom95
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
    Why not give DOSBox a try...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:06:02 AM »
      Why not give DOSBox a try...
      Doom95 was for Windows 95/98/ME.  DosBox won't run it.  Doom95 runs fine under Windows 2000/XP, but gets no mouse support.  I was hoping that a virtual install of Windows 98 might be worth trying.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:07 PM »
      Gotcha...
      I assumed DOOM II sorry.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »
      get GZDoom:

http://grafzahl.drdteam.org/page.php?page=230

And it can run in all it's glory! 320x240? Not a chance! more like 1440x900:

http://bc-programming.com/images/other/gzDoom_2.png

I also copied the high resolution textures that are made for the JDoom Texture pack.

Speaking of Which, JDoom is another option, it uses the Doomsday engine:

http://www.dengine.net/

You can get Texture packs, model packs, etc, and make Doom, the game from the early 1990's, look like this:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5343/jdoom202.jpg

and this

All you need is the WAD file from the game you already have. either Doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc. you can also get TNT.wad and Plutonia.wad, which are essentially "mission packs" for the original game.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »
        Unfortunately, while I am already familiar with several source ports, I have long preferred Doom95.  As the old computer has Doom95 on it already, with full mouse support, I wanted to be able to virtualize Windows98SE good enough on at least one computer to be able to get Doom95's mouse functions working with a PS/2 mouse.  I'm going to give Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 a try before switching to a source port.  Doom95 can support only four resolutions, and the higher two are 640x400 and 640x480.

Also, BC_Programmer, I don't really like the 3D models that are used in some source ports.  I prefer to face the original sprites instead.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
        Unfortunately, while I am already familiar with several source ports, I have long preferred Doom95.  As the old computer has Doom95 on it already, with full mouse support, I wanted to be able to virtualize Windows98SE good enough on at least one computer to be able to get Doom95's mouse functions working with a PS/2 mouse.  I'm going to give Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 a try before switching to a source port.  Doom95 can support only four resolutions, and the higher two are 640x400 and 640x480.
        Doom95 is the absolute worst choice. the DOS executable would be far more preferable.

you could try Chocolate Doom, which tries to remain as true to the original as possible.

Also, BC_Programmer, I don't really like the 3D models that are used in some source ports.  I prefer to face the original sprites instead.

Then don't use them. They don't come by default and they don't even work in Gzdoom anyway.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 07:59:51 AM »
          Doom95 is the absolute worst choice. the DOS executable would be far more preferable.

you could try Chocolate Doom, which tries to remain as true to the original as possible.

Then don't use them. They don't come by default and they don't even work in Gzdoom anyway.

I have tried Chocolate Doom before, and it plays much like the original Doom does.

Now, regarding Doom95, have you seen this page?
          http://www.flaterco.com/kb/DOOM/DOOM95.html

One serious fail mentioned there is that partial invisibility is misrendered, making it appear like abstract art.  For some odd reason, when I play Doom95 on the old computer, which has Windows98SE, I don't get that problem and the partial invisibility gets rendered in the same way as in the DOS version.  However, to get it to render properly on XP, I end up having to use the -emulator parameter in the run box.  I've also had issues with sound cutting out, as I have an ISA card and the Microsoft drivers.  However, after making a backup of DSound.dll, I tried putting an older version of the file in the C:\Windows\System folder, and although DXDiag reported an older version of the file being there, Doom95 was able to run without sound cutting out.  After I finish playing, I restart the computer, then go back into the System folder and replace the older version of DSound.dll with the most current version on that computer, backed up in the C:\Windows\System\DirectX folder.  For any other games on that computer, I don't do this.  However, trying to use DSound.dll from DirectX5 or DirectX6.1 causes a BSOD when trying to play a game in Doom95, thus I need to use either the DirectX9 version of DirectSound or use one from DirectX3 and earlier.  I'd prefer the older ones to prevent the sound from cutting out during gameplay.

A universal issue between Doom95 and other Windows source ports is midi music not playing correctly after certain tracks getting played.  I've had issues with volume, modulation and pitch wheel settings not getting reset between tracks.  (Not all midi software will harbor this problem.  The 'Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth' doesn't do this, and I never had that problem with Doom95 when using an external module.)  I managed to find a way to fix this by extracting the music and add a few necessary event commands to the start of the intermission screen music and other between level tracks, resetting those settings to their default values whenever those songs come on.  As a result, during normal gameplay I don't deal with that midi problem again.  For instance, if the intermission screen music 'D_DM2INT' gets played after the Doom II track 'D_DOOM' gets played, and then the track 'D_RUNNIN' gets played after the intermission music, the main theme of that track still plays at the correct pitch. (I was getting that midi volume/modulation/pitch problem with Doom95 while using a Roland SCC-1 card for the midi music under Windows 98SE on the old computer, and had been wanting to find a way around it.)  Now I can't allow myself to add these events to every Doom track, for some tracks will be affected in an unacceptable way if this occurs, causing changes to the music itself.  The music for Doom E1M8 is an example.  Some of the pitch wheel parts disappeared during the conversion from the MIDI format to the MUS format that Doom95 uses.  Final Doom for Windows 95 also had issues with the music first heard in TNT maps 2, 4, 13, 15 and 29, in that some music tracks had parts with volume levels far below what they should be.  I had to use a midi editor such as Midi Maestro to fix that problem so that all of the instruments would be heard while the game was being played on those levels.  For instance, in TNT Map 02, the saw wave instrument couldn't be heard originally in 'Final Doom for Windows 95', but could be heard in the DOS version of Final Doom.  Once those changes were made to the music files, they were permanent.

The reason why I use Doom95 on the older computer is because my favorite source port, PrBoom, doesn't run at full speed in high resolutions on that computer, plus I can use the mouse's thumb button with Logitech MouseWare to have a Shift key assignment, enabling me to hold it down to use speed mode without having to hold down an actual Shift key.  And I obviously don't need Chocolate Doom on that one.  (The original DOS version runs very well.) 

A few other source ports I have used are WinDoom, Doom Legacy, and Doomsday.  Doom Legacy was my least favorite port, as it wasn't as faithful to the original game as I'd like.  (I can't even play the Ultimate Doom episode Thy Flesh Consumed on that source port.)

If I'm going to play Doom on Windows XP in single player mode, I'll be likely to stick to PrBoom, and if I want it to behave like Doom, I'll just make the necessary changes to the options.

However, for an even better experience for myself, I've been doing one thing people might be less likely to do.  I have been using a level editor called WadAuthor, and have been fixing level bugs such as missing textures and stuck monsters.  Here's one example:  The Cacodemons in the small rooms on either side of the exit in Ultimate Doom Episode 4 Map 4 'Unruly Evil' are no-longer glued together as I moved the rear Cacodemon in each room up to the back wall.  When a switch is pressed that opens one of the doors in front of either set of Cacodemons, instead of them just sitting there and not being able to do anything until one of them is killed, they both fly out in my direction and start spitting ball lightning!  (These types of fixes break compatibility with demos that were recorded with the bugs present, but I know those maps well enough that I don't need the demos.)  I also used WadAuthor to fix the infamous yellow key bug in TNT Map 31 'Pharaoh'.  Speaking of that map and Doom95, I replaced a few former sergeants to fix a bug with them waking up too early, preventing the problem with the last group of sergeants in that level not being able to ambush the player in Doom95.  (The new ones are in the same places as the originals.)

Speaking of Doom95, the file DOOMLYNCH.DLL is a version downloaded from the internet, fixing the launcher's demo recording ability.  I had also used a hex editor to fix a misspelling of E1M1 'Hangar', as it was displayed as 'E1M1 'Hanger'' in the launcher.  The only problem I cannot fix is the mouse not working with the Doom95 under Windows XP.  (It's a documented problem that has no fix due to virtual device drivers not being supported under Win2000 and later operating systems.)  This problem is what causes me to use a source port under the newer operating systems.  I save Doom95 for the multiplayer games, as I'm able to more easily start a multiplayer game in it than in PrBoom and any other source port that uses the command line.  To make things easier for those that end up stuck with the keyboard alone, I simply replaced the movement key assignments from the arrow keys to the WASD layout.

At any rate, I'm likely to give Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 one try this coming week, before trying other source ports.  I couldn't get a multiplayer game going in PrBoom between the HP 7285 and the Dell 2350, which was a bummer.  I did succeed between the Dell 2350 and the HP a1440n, on the other hand.  Doom95 was a success between all three computers.
          « Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:51:28 AM by Ryan »

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
            I just checked to see if Doom95 was playable under Windows98, when the OS was installed in Virtual PC 2004.  I got the game to run, but the performance was not as I had desired.  (Too slow, and sound was lagging behind the action.)  Not only that, but the midi music played back horribly, as I was stuck with FM Synthesis, and could not use wavetable midi instead.  I'm going to distance myself from Virtual PC.

I'll go to ZDoom instead for use in multiplayer games, unless somebody brings an older computer that can have Windows 98SE installed on it.  (I'm going to continue using Doom95 for single player games.)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »
            You realize that the MUS music in Doom was designed for a FM synthesis MIDI device? technically it's more accurate to the original to use FM synth.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
              You realize that the MUS music in Doom was designed for a FM synthesis MIDI device? technically it's more accurate to the original to use FM synth.

Pffft.  I'd rather use a Roland Sound Canvas, preferably an SC-55.  In this case, I use either the Roland SCC-1 sound card or the SC-88Pro external module with Doom on the old computer.

I won't use an FM synth unless there's nothing else possible, and Wolfenstein 3D would be an example of that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »
              I won't use an FM synth unless there's nothing else possible, and Wolfenstein 3D would be an example of that.

There are Win ports of that too, that will use the selected MIDI device (such as the GS Wavetable synth)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
                There are Win ports of that too, that will use the selected MIDI device (such as the GS Wavetable synth)
                That is true.

I might attempt to use ZDoom if I ever want to attempt multiplayer, unless a friend playing with me prefers to use the keyboard alone.  I'll be looking into it, of course.  I'll have to find out which of the source ports will run the best on the oldest computer, before going forward with any other plans.  I'll attempt ZDoom and Chocolate Doom first.  For the MIDI music on the old computer, I'll be sticking with the SCC-1 and SC-88Pro.

Beetlejoose

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 03:13:24 AM »
                  You can download a patch I wrote for this problem  :  http://youfailit.net/files/dmousexp.zip