Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Inoperative USB Function  (Read 11068 times)

mickmission

Topic Starter

Rookie

Inoperative USB Function
    « on: April 02, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
    My Dell E510 Computer is inoperative to the extent that none of the USB peripherals will work. The computer Boots up OK but I cannot operate either the desk keyboard or the mouse (Both USB) The computer does not have ps2 connectors. Is it possible to reinstall the USB driver presuming that the existing driver is corrupted. The big problem is I cannot get to the device manager.

Is there a way of starting the computer in safe mode considering that I  cannot operate the keypad/mouse?

When I shut down the computer with the on/off switch, the computer then shuts down in Hibernate mode only, can this be overcome?

Is my only solution to reinstall the operating system, and if this is the only option how can I transfer my files from the hard drive that is operating correctly?

I am at my wits end as I have been unable to get to a solution myself.

Thanks Mike

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Inoperative USB Function
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »
    I suggested a hardware solution in the your other discussion at http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,102666.msg694341.html#msg694341.  Have you not considered that?

mickmission

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »
      I have attempted to implement this suggestion and I purchased the SYBA SD-VIA-5U USB 2.0 PCI Card, which I then installed on my computer, however the computer did not recognise the card. I also have contacted the manufacturer who provided the following response.

"Thank you for your inquiry. All our PCI to USB cards are using the Windows USB default Plug and Play driver. Unfortunately, if the USB driver is corrupted the add-on card will not function correctly. You may contact Dell/Microsoft to resolve the corrupted USB driver issues or you may try going into Safe Mode and replace the USB drivers copied from other computer running the same OS".

I would attempt to resolve this issue in SAFE MODE except I cannot get there without a functioning key board (USB).

Please provide any further suggestions. The supplier did provide a "Drivers and Utilities" CD which is labeled for Windows ME/98 driver, and how do I implement a CD where I cannot give instructions to open and apply it without a functioning keyboard.

Thanks, Mike

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »
      Well, I'll tell you what I would do in this situation but you may not want to do this.  I would get Linux Ubuntu on a CD and run it from the CD to see whether it would recognize the mouse and keyboard.  Ubuntu can be downloaded for free, burned to a disc which is a bootable disc, and then you can either run the Ubuntu OS right off the CD, without installing it on your hard drive, or you can install Ubuntu on your hard drive while leaving Windows intact, thereby creating a dual-boot configuration.

Let's say you downloaded Ubuntu and created the bootable CD (or DVD), you boot from the disc and elect to run Ubuntu without installing it on your hard drive.  Then, you can retrieve files by finding them with Ubuntu and copying them to a flash drive (if USB works under Ubuntu) or to a CD/DVD if you have a burner CD/DVD drive.  Of course, you'd need to spend some time getting a little familiar with Ubuntu.

Does this sound like something you'd want to try?

mickmission

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
        I'll certainly look at Ubuntu, which is something new to me. Thanks

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »
        Ubuntu 9.10 can be obtained from http://www.ubuntu.com/.  It's a 690MB download.  Perhaps I should mention there are smaller Linux OS that would probably work just as well for this purpose, but I'm not familiar with them.  One of the is DSL

mickmission

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:43:49 AM »

I have not been successful in downloading a workable UBUNTU 9.1 from their website so I have requested a CD from them, however the downside is it will be a few weeks before it's delivered.

I do have a question as I understand that the Ubuntu program is not self starting and I have to select the desired function for it to boot up. How can I accomplish this without a functioning mouse?

Is there a way to get my system working with an emergency boot disc and if so how do I go about getting one?

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »
          I have not been successful in downloading a workable UBUNTU 9.1 from their website ...
          What happened?  Did you believe you got a good download?  Do you think the problem occurred in the process of burning it to disc?  What burning software did you use?

I do have a question as I understand that the Ubuntu program is not self starting ...
          It will start if you set your system to choose the CD drive as the first boot device.  To do that, you need to accesss the CMOS Setup Utility, where you see BIOS settings for your computer.  To access the CMOS Setup Utility, you need to hit a certain key right after turning on the power and keep tapping the key to be sure the computer catches that signal at the right moment and opens the CMOS Setup Utility.  The key used to access the CMOS Setup Utility varies by brand of computer. This reference should help: http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

mickmission

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »
            Thanks for your response However my situation is complicated because due to the faulty USB function
            I do not have either a keyboard or mouse that functions.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
            Thanks for your response However my situation is complicated because due to the faulty USB function
            I do not have either a keyboard or mouse that functions.

Soybeans suggestion is an attempt to determine if the problem is caused by the operating System.

As he says, you boot into Ubuntu. It is <not> started From within windows, and is an OS on it's own.

Since you were unable to use a PCI 2.0 card, the problem is almost certainly with the windows installation.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
            Actually, since you need to hit a key to enter the CMOS Setup Utility, just being able do so will confirm that the computer is responding to the keyboard.  Don't why I didn't think about that before.   :-[

mickmission

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »
              How can I establish a new Ubuntu account as I can no longer log in to my original account?

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »
              Whoa here.  Can you bring us up to date?  You succeeded in installing Ubuntu, right?  And, does mouse and keyboard work correctly with it?

mickmission

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
                I downloaded Ubuntu OK on another (older and normally unused) desktop, after the initial login I find that I can no longer do so as it no longer recognizes my password. My purpose in loading Ubuntu on the older desktop was to get familiar with Ubuntu.

I have not installed Ubuntu on the desktop with the failed USB, this is because I don't see how I can do it with a failed mouse. The computer does not have PS/2 ports available. It's sort of a "Catch 22". You might say I'm at a loss as how to proceed.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »
                I downloaded Ubuntu OK on another (older and normally unused) desktop, after the initial login I find that I can no longer do so as it no longer recognizes my password. My purpose in loading Ubuntu on the older desktop was to get familiar with Ubuntu.
                What password? You aren't trying to use your windows password I hope.

this is because I don't see how I can do it with a failed mouse.

Easy. the mouse hasn't failed. The symptoms point to a problem with the windows USB drivers.

have you even <TRIED> to boot to the CD? you install it from the CD, <Not> from within windows. As noted the symptoms don't point to "failed USB" <hardware> but rather a problem with the windows Drivers for USB- the idea here is the confirm this by seeing if Ubuntu can use them properly.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.