Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Kubuntu GPU Freeze  (Read 4245 times)

trevorpe

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Kubuntu GPU Freeze
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
Hi there,

I installed Kubuntu from the text based installer.
It was painless, like it should be in my opinion.  I did all my partitioning with Puppy Linux though, simply because it's quick and easy to boot up as a live cd and provides Graphic Interface to do it.

Anyways, I edited grub (also from puppy since I'm familiar with it), and booted into Kubuntu.
I downloaded all the bug fixes first, then it updated the rest of the "Security Updates."

All of a sudden, it froze, completely.  My keyboard was non-responsive and mouse that usually changes through colors froze at a certain color.

I read on the Ubuntu (or Kubuntu, can't remember) forums that the symptoms of a GPU Freeze are pretty much the same as the ones I'm experiencing.  I checked the xorg log files and can't find a backtrace, another symptom I think.

I got the nVidia drivers for my 9800 GTX+.  Once I fixed the extremely small, illegible text problem, I thought that this might fix the GPU Freeze.  Turns out it didn't.  I've been switching between video drivers and none of them seem to fix the problem.  I'd like to keep the nVidia drivers, because of compositing.  While I mention that, could that be the root of my problem? Maybe a bug in KWin I believe it's called?  But it still happens without compositing, so I don't think so.

The freezes are random, so I haven't been able to pinpoint any specific instances where it will freeze.  If I remember right, that is another GPU Freeze symptom.

Has anyone had this kind of a problem and would anyone have any recommendations to help fix it (or at least diagnose it)?  I have the xorg.conf file as well I can edit.

I'm really looking forward to using Kubuntu, but I won't be able to use it for fear that it will be unreliable if this keeps happening.

By the way, I'm not a beginner to Linux, but I'm not an expert either.  I have no problem with Terminal or Console work either.
Trevor P.