Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any Ideas?  (Read 19097 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Any Ideas?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »
companies purchasing each other is a different question altogether; Mozilla is a non-profit organization (by definition,  anyway) so it cannot be purchased, and Google cannot afford to buy Microsoft and Microsoft can't easily afford to buy Google.

Also, when to comes to software, the only thing throwing more money at a project results in is basically throwing more bodies(programmers) at it, which actually reduces productivity.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 07:26:57 PM »
Thank You for this. This answer i like.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
So I’m now using Firefox and NoScript and so far it’s working out just fine. I’m now able to print out my “jumble” using Firefox  which is why I started this post in the first place.( I thank you all for that). Now I'm just wondering if someone could shed some light on the IETab. It works fine but never having seen a feature such as this I just can’t wrap my head around the concept. I have found instances other that “jumble” that require the use of ”trident”, but why is it necessary and what’s it all about?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 03:04:45 PM »
IETab basically just renders a firefox tab using the IE engine; the IE engine is called "trident". It's rather easy to create the addon, I would imagine; the IE rendering is free with windows, it's just a matter of driving a IE "webbrowser" control within firefox.

The reason a site may need it is rather simple- the creators only tested the site with IE; IE has some subtle differences from other browsers, has a number of "custom" additions that don't work in other browsers, etc. and overall, it's possible to create sites that work fine in all browsers but have "artifacts" in browsers other then IE.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
So with whatever browser we use, we are still somewhat dependant on IE?
Is this a fair assumption? More importantly than that, when I’m using the IETab
am I at more of a security risk than when I’m not using that feature. I ask this because I’ve noticed that I  even need to use the IETab feature, to be able to use “Spell Check” when sending a new post or reply in CH.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »
So with whatever browser we use, we are still somewhat dependant on IE?
Only for as long as website creators continue to use the IE way of doing things instead of the standard way. Also, it's not too difficult to create web pages that work in all major browsers; what you've encountered is probably just mistake made in a CSS file on that site that IE is able to ignore but Firefox,Chrome, and so forth follow the Web standards closer and interpret it differently.

More importantly than that, when I'm using the IE Tab
am I at more of a security risk than when I'm not using that feature.
No idea. A lot of the vulnerabilities of Internet Explorer are actually part of the "chrome" of the application; that is, Internet Explorer uses the very same web browser control that IE Tab does; it's the way that it uses that and how it allows scripts and Actives and so forth to take control in specific instances that constitute the security issues, not necessarily the rendering engine itself. I'm not sure how many of Internet Explorer's options take effect in IE Tab provided windows.

I ask this because I've noticed that I  even need to use the IE Tab feature, to be able to use "Spell Check" when sending a new post or reply in CH.

Spell Check seems to work fine in FF for me. (how does being able to use spellcheck or not make you ask about security though ???)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 04:57:45 PM »
Spell Check seems to work fine in FF for me. (how does being able to use spellcheck or not make you ask about security though Huh?)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I meant by that is, I'm using the IETab quite frequenty and not understanding the scheme of things i was wondering if and when I'm using the IETab, am I'm jeopardizing the security that Fireeox provides?

PS when I'm not using using the IETab and attempt to "reply" or "post" (like right now) in CH, not only can I not use the "Spell Check" the "Attach" shows,(the Browse section) twice?? When using the IETab all is well.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »
hmm, sounds like an issue with FF itself. No idea what it could be. Anything similar happening on other sites?

As for using IE tab; I woudn't worry about "security" at all; people can say there are more vulnerabilities in product A then in Product B but when you realize that these people couldn't identify a vulnerability on a soft-shell mollusk, nor can they actually specify a single one, it becomes a question of wether they are simply following the mob mentality on the subject or wether they actually formed an opinion on their own.

Also- I've found that when in a discussion about IE versus FF regarding vulnerabilities, for some reason the FF advocates have this habit of quoting IE vulnerabilities from version 4,5 and 6, as if they actually matter today. (not to mention a good number of them are just quoting from elsewhere).

I switched from IE6 to Firefox 1.5 after a large number of virus issues.

I still had issues occasionally, even then, but they probably got in another way.

However, since I upgraded to Vista (and now 7) a year or so ago, I haven't run either a AV or software firewall and have yet to get any infection whatsoever. I'm apt to believe that it's more a case of IE7 being that much better then IE6... (UAC helps too).

Anyway, although I have hardly used either IE7 or IE8, I'm not sure that firefox is deserving of the security pedestal it seems to be given by right. FF was better then IE6, but IE7/IE8 and Firefox are on pretty even turf.

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
To get spell check to work, you have to allow computerhope.com in NoScript.
Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »
Thanks people. Haven't had any other occurrences that i can remember. Probably just me trying to familiarize myself with FF. I've "whitelisted" CH ,will this help or should this be done with all the sites that I want to allow? Right now I'm going to be able to send this reply without using the IETab.

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
The way I use NoScript is that I only allow sites if they do not seem to be working properly and I trust them.
Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
Thanks Kip.You've been a great help throughout.