Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop pink screen and power adapter low voltage  (Read 4906 times)

Sn3akyP3t3

Topic Starter

Beginner

Laptop pink screen and power adapter low voltage
    « on: April 07, 2010, 12:22:43 AM »
    I have high respect for the Computer Hope site, but I've never looked into the forum for answers until today.  I've been unable to find information regarding the effects of constant low voltage of a power adapter for a laptop on Google.  I was surprised to see hits for "undervolting" laptops to make them run cooler in my searches.  The laptop in question does not belong to me.  It is a Dell Inspiron 1501 if that makes any difference.  Strangely I can't find any markings on the bottom of the laptop for power requirements or even a service tag so I went to Dell and pulled specs on the model from there.  The required voltage is 19.5 and the Kensington adapter the user purchased is set for 1 of 3 settings which is green.  The adapter label states that green is supposed to provide 19 volts and 4.74A max.  I got a voltage range reading from my multimeter on the adapter.  It is providing between 6 to 10 volts with a slight drop after being connected to get a reading.

The laptop screen blips on then immediately off always when this adapter is plugged into it.  Without the adapter the screen is pink with an inch blue vertical streak about centerline.  I'm assuming the screen is undamaged and the problem is the integrated video card is damaged, but I'm unsure of that.  For those that are still reading here is my question at last; What are the adverse effects of running a laptop with an adapter that consistently provides extreme low voltage besides the inability to charge.  Can low voltage cause the motherboard to eventually fail or components like the GPU to smoke test itself?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Laptop pink screen and power adapter low voltage
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:20:33 AM »
    Innaccurate and/or low voltage will cause all sorts of erratic behavior on PC's...and yes over time it can cause component failures.
    I'd replace it if the laptop is worthy...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
    1.  It is a Dell Inspiron 1501 if that makes any difference.
    2.  Strangely I can't find any markings on the bottom of the laptop for power requirements or even a service tag so I went to Dell and pulled specs on the model from there.
    3.  The required voltage is 19.5 and the Kensington adapter the user purchased is set for 1 of 3 settings which is green.  The adapter label states that green is supposed to provide 19 volts and 4.74A max.  I got a voltage range reading from my multimeter on the adapter.  It is providing between 6 to 10 volts with a slight drop after being connected to get a reading.
    4.  The laptop screen blips on then immediately off always when this adapter is plugged into it.  Without the adapter the screen is pink with an inch blue vertical streak about centerline.  I'm assuming the screen is undamaged and the problem is the integrated video card is damaged, but I'm unsure of that.  For those that are still reading here is my question at last; What are the adverse effects of running a laptop with an adapter that consistently provides extreme low voltage besides the inability to charge.  Can low voltage cause the motherboard to eventually fail or components like the GPU to smoke test itself?
    1.  If I'm not mistaken, that would make it 2-3 years old.
    2.  That is strange.
    3.  That's a pretty standard voltage for many laptops.  19V @ 4.74A would be more than adequate.  0.4V lower means nothing, the 19 is regulated down to the internal voltages required.  Your voltage reading of 6 to 10 under load, indicates a problem either with the power adapter or something inside the laptop.  I wouldn't expect it to drop below 12V when loaded.
    4.  Need to figure out if it's the laptop or the power adapter that's bad.

Sn3akyP3t3

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »
      I'm pretty sure its the power adapter.  My multimeter reading was done under no load.

I'm surprised that there are no interlocks in place that detect lower than tolerable voltages like a gate or switch to cut power to prevent damage, but if that were there maybe laptops would cost an extra $300 per unit.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 03:03:43 PM »
      1.  I'm pretty sure its the power adapter.  My multimeter reading was done under no load.
      2.  I'm surprised that there are no interlocks in place that detect lower than tolerable voltages like a gate or switch to cut power to prevent damage, but if that were there maybe laptops would cost an extra $300 per unit.
      1.  Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought your measurements were under load.
      2.  I can't think of any electrical or electronic device that has this feature:  home air conditioner. refrigerator (anything with a motor), under-voltage is bad for all of them.  Actually some power supplies are wide input voltage range:  90-250 VAC.

Sn3akyP3t3

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
        I wasn't really clear in my post about under load or not.  Sorry for the confusion.  The owner revealed to me when I returned the laptop that it has had at least six power adapters replaced over the life of the laptop.  It is no longer under warranty so I'm guessing it is end of life for this laptop or to be used as a stationary machine with an external monitor.  After hearing the number of power adapters destroyed by this machine I'm convinced there is an electrical fault with the laptop.  Perhaps a ground on the motherboard or something else that draws too much current to cause burnout of power adapters.  I don't think I know how to use a multimeter to look for such faults.  The laptop is old anyway and an economy model so might not be worth the trouble.

Thanks to all with input on this issue.