Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't make wireless connections  (Read 2283 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Can't make wireless connections
    « on: April 11, 2010, 07:31:08 PM »
    HI,
    I recently set up a NETGEAR wireless router.  During the install I followed the set up directions using the installation disc.  As the program proceeded, I selected"NONE" for security level, the program finished the installation, and we had a strong/good connection using this router with our laptop in our home.

After a few days I thought about the security level "NONE" and decided to change it.  I had previously watched a video on setting up a wireless router.  It happened to mention that WINDOWs XP (my OS) should be set at the WEP security level.  I choose that one, and have not been able to make a wireless connection to our lap top since then.

I have reset the router to its factory default settings, unplugged the router,
    tried the other security settings, gone back to security level 'NONE", and nothing has worked. I have an internet connection on my PC, the router lights are all indicating the connection is good, and the installation disc when I run it again and again continues to show that the router is set up correctly and working properly, but it is not connecting to the lap top.  I can't find a setting that will let me uninstall whatever settings are causing this and reinstalling the program just as though the router just came out of the box.  Just running the installation disc again isn't fixing this. What can I try next?

Thanks,
    beachguy

EEVIAC

Re: Can't make wireless connections
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »
    What's the make/model of the router ? 

If the router support WPA2 security, you should be using that, not WEP.  Windows XP supports WPA2 just fine, so you should use WPA2.  Follow article here, to make sure you've got the correct service packs/patches installed..

Regarding the connection issue.  What you have to do if first, set up and enable WPA2 security in the router, and configure a password for it.  It can be up to 63 characters long, but use something you can at least remember.. think of a long awkward sentence, or something, and type it in, with out spaces.  I'm not sure if spaces are supported in encryption passwords..

Once you get the WPA security set up, use XP to identify the your wireless router and click on the router to connect to it..  Enter the Password you just entered into the router, hit enter you you should be connected... Do not share the password with anyone, unless you trust them...

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:27:48 PM »
      EEVIAC,
      Thanks for your input. It is a NETGEAR wireless-300 Router WNR2000v2.  I am going to try all your suggestions and I will get back to you.  I have XP Pro/SP3 so from what you said and going to the site you listed, it seems like I should be ready to go and not need any patches.  Is that correct?  Hope some of this works.

beachguy
      « Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:39:21 PM by beachguy »

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »
      yah if you have SP3 already you should be good to go...