Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer gets hot but power supply doesnt  (Read 2095 times)

asd1

Topic Starter

Starter

computer gets hot but power supply doesnt
    « on: April 08, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »
    Hi, I have a gaming laptop it is an MSiGX620.

specs here
    http://nexus404.com/Blog/2008/08/14/msi-gx620-gx720-centrino-2-gaming-laptops-specifications-detailed/

I used to be able to play games on high graphics, for as long as I wanted, but now my computer gets too hot and shuts off. I ran a test for this. I ran a game on high graphics, and while my harddrive was to hot to touch, my power supply was surprisingly cold, only a tiny of bit warm. This is not normal for my computer, when I first gamed on this computer, the power supply would get extremley hot. but games ran fine on high settings and did not shut off.

My prediction is that it is the power supply, I have it plugged in all the time to my computer and stuff, i've also tried removing my battery from the back, did nothing, computer still shut off.

Even worse graphic games shut off while playing. What i need to know is

• Do I need a new power supply (plug)
    • Do I need to send my computer in?

my warranty is expired too, so please don't just say, send it back. If a new plug is all I need thats all I want to spend money on.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: computer gets hot but power supply doesnt
    « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »
    Are you referring to a Power supply or a  Backup power supply. Power supplies are internal.

Second, are you referring to the hard drive or  the PC case?

Since you're probably referring to a UPS, are there any indicator lights that would indicate to change the battery or wether there was a failure?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: computer gets hot but power supply doesnt
    « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
    Are you referring to a Power supply or a  Backup power supply. Power supplies are internal.

Second, are you referring to the hard drive or  the PC case?

Since you're probably referring to a UPS, are there any indicator lights that would indicate to change the battery or wether there was a failure?

BC....this is a laptop, not a desktop.

Sudden shutdowns sound like a overheating issue, the fans are probably full of dust and need to be cleaned out.

If the adapter was not inputting the right voltage then the laptop would fail to charge at all I would say, but getting it checked out at a local electronic repair store shouldn't be an issue. (not a big chain store but a small retail store, because it will be alot cheaper, and the big chain store will most likely want to repair the lappy too)