Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezing at startup  (Read 2442 times)

thecritter99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Computer freezing at startup
    « on: April 04, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »
    Hi,

At work we have a computer that is starting to play up when booting. It's a high spec Acer with 4gb DDR3 RAM and Core 2 Duo processor and we've had it for about four months. We rarely use it and we booted it up this morning - fine, until we get to the desktop where it just becomes unresponsive. An issue with Windows Explorer it seems? We left it for an hour and still no luck in terms of accessing files - it just says on all the windows, 'not responding'. I personally rarely use the PC, so it could be a virus infection. I've downloaded an AVG rescue disk, which I started, but never had time to get finished (so I don't know the results!). I did try safe mode (with no networking or command prompt) and it is still unresponsive at the desktop there.

Is this a common problem with vista that requires an easy fix, or does it sound like a virus? If it sounds like a virus, then I'll start the scan again when i get in on tuesday. P.S. It looks as if Norton 360 and McAfee are both installed (which could be the cause), but I couldn't access any files, let alone control panel.

Any ideas? A quick reply would be appreciated. Thanks!

thecritter99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Computer freezing at startup
      « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
      anyone?

@@

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:31:54 AM »
      'not responding'.
      Sometimes programs and viruses can cause that . Other times, it might be hardware.
      first step : remove Adware, Malware, Spyware, Trojans, Worms, and Viruses

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:04:39 PM »
      Quote from: thecritter99 link=topic=102897.msg695611#msg695611
      It looks as if Norton 360 and McAfee are both installed (which could be the cause) ...
      Yes, having two anti-virus programs installed, with both being resident in memory at the same time, can have a negative impact on computer performance.  Try disabling, or completely removing, one of them.