Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I broke my everything.  (Read 3727 times)

Erinlove

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I broke my everything.
    « on: April 10, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
    I know what I did, but then it got worse and I probably made it worse.
    First I re-wrote my boot.ini (I believe) with a program called "Style XP"  to change my boot up screen. I rebooted it to see it in action and my computer wouldn't boot back up.

I can't reset most times any other way than a hard power supply boot because it stays "on" but wont beep and turn my monitor back on. Just humming away with nothing to show me, like a zombie.  I have plenty of power.

All sorts of errors happened before it completely lost it's mind. Let me try to recall most of the combinations.

I hard boot/reset:
    It beeps, it shows the Asus screen.. Forever.
    Beeps, normal IDE screen, then it dies.
    Beeps, normal IDE screen, then it reboots.
    Beep Beep Beep.. Forever, physically normal but nothing on the monitor.

Safe mode (assuming it makes it past the first screens):
    F8, safe mode, shows a driver list,  freeze forever on that list.
    Driver list, goes black and my monitor loses connection.
    Driver list, enter.. It loaded once but there was no start menu. 

Reinstall attempt (again assuming it passes the first fail list):
    Runs normal to "run from disk" and goes black while scanning windows files.
    Runs normal, reformatted, copied files, said preparing reboot and rebooted to nothingness, my computer humming, my monitor black and then it turned off as it does with no signal.

Now:
    BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP ('til I kill it) if I take out my RAMS and nothingness (fans running fine) or..
    Doesn't beep, black screen.. same thing over the last few times. The normal grumling and rumbling inside the case is sometimes there at the very start, not always though.

The hardware seems fine. Could I be THAT unlucky that I broke XP and my HDD in one day? I don't even know what I could do!

Pent D, Win Xp Sp3.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I broke my everything.
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »
    I hard boot/reset:
    It beeps, it shows the Asus screen.. Forever.
    Beeps, normal IDE screen, then it dies.
    Beeps, normal IDE screen, then it reboots.
    Beep Beep Beep.. Forever, physically normal but nothing on the monitor.
    All this indicates a "bad" IDE device.  check the cables, then remove one device at time until you isolate the offender.  You can also disconnect them all and see if you can enter the BIOS, then reconnect one at time until you find the offender.

Forgot to ask:  is this a laptop?

Erinlove

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 05:00:41 PM »

No it is not a laptop. It is just my better than Pent1 computer.
      It isn't hooked up to much, just 1 hard drive, motherboard, power supply and CD drive. Also a vid card, modem and I think that's all.
      I can't get to BIOS (not that I know how to us it) because now it just hums like it's on but shows nothing. :/
      Is it possible it can only be fixed with a hammer now?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »
      Disconnect the IDE cable to the hard drive, put a bootable CD in the CD-drive and see if it will boot.  You may have to change the boot order in the BIOS, but with only a CD, it should boot.

Erinlove

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
        Ok so I disconnected the power supply from the hard drive and the flat cord cause I couldn't remember which you said and no beep and no screens, it just turns on and hums all brainless. This is making me think I broke my hard drive. But why is it not even showing my motherboard information anymore?!?!
        I can buy a replacement part, not 1000 of the wrong ones, and my head already hurts.

Thank you for being patient with me.

Erinlove

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
          Sorry to double post but I still need help on what part I MOST likely need. I wont be mad if someone is wrong, I just can't go all willy-nilly buying parts lol

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
          Sorry to double post but I still need help on what part I MOST likely need. I wont be mad if someone is wrong, I just can't go all willy-nilly buying parts lol
          Disconnect the IDE cable to the hard drive (which you did), put a bootable CD in the CD-drive (which you did not) and see if it will boot.  You may have to change the boot order in the BIOS (you did not do this either), but with only a CD, it should boot.

Can't help you much if you don't follow instructions.  The part you need MOST is the brain you were born with.

Erinlove

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »
            EXCUSE ME?!? The disk never left the tower, why would it, it currently had no OS thank you. Way to be rude man, good job. Forget it, if advice comes with rudeness then stick it up your *censored*.