Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internal_Power_Error  (Read 2800 times)

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Internal_Power_Error
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
Hi guys, I'm back again!

My latest custom built machine has lately been giving me a bit of trouble.

Its specs are:

ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8Ghz
4GB DDR 2 Dual Channel @ 800MHz
Amaze ATi HD 4870 GDDR5 1GB
Creative X-Fi Titanium- PCI-e Edition in 5.1 Channel
24x LG DVD Super-Multi Writer w/Lightscribe
500-watt PSU
21.5" HD ProView LED monitor

Running XP Service Pack 3

So the problem is that twice now, it has got to the stage where I turn the machine on, and right after the xp logo disappears, the screen flickers like normal then I get a bluescreen 0xA0 INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR

I can boot into safe mode, then restart the machine and it will go great untill I turn it off.

I also found that it seemed to be a Windows issue...but not entirely sure. The first time it happened I reformatted and the issue disappeared for about a month. It has since started doing it again, but I reformatted again this morning and it has disappeared again  ???

The components are all quite new, especially the graphics card, PSU and sound card.

I have tried to google the issue for a specific cause, but it seems tro be more prevalent with Vista and Windows 7...

What are the possible causes of this BSOD?

EEVIAC

Re: Internal_Power_Error
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:20:18 PM »
It seems like an issue with the video card driver.  Save Mode loads a standard vga video driver and you obviously did not have any issues while in Safe Mode.  The problem seems to happen when the video card driver is used.

Have you got the latest driver from the Manufacturer ?
Or, if you have the latest already, perhaps an older version of the driver will work...
If you are able to stay booted up long enough try these suggestions..

It could be the video card though.  Using different operating systems, thus different drivers hasn't seemed to help..  Reseating the video card may prove useful.

Of course, safe mode, prevents many other things from loading, so it could be an operating system configuration, or service issue..
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:42:43 PM by EEVIAC »

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 02:39:34 AM »
The first time it happened I reformatted and the issue disappeared for about a month. It has since started doing it again, but I reformatted again this morning and it has disappeared again  ???

What programs did you install after the first time you reinstalled ?  EDIT: What changes were made, in all ?

What anti-virus program are you using ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:03:37 AM by EEVIAC »

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:05:50 AM »
What programs did you install after the first time you reinstalled ?  EDIT: What changes were made, in all ?

What anti-virus program are you using ?

None at the moment...but I was using Avast 5.

The changes seemed to start after using a creative PCI-e card...and I have seen a forum post where this problem and a creative card was mentioned, but that doesn't seem to be the issue because I am using the exact same setup now with no issues whatsoever.

I can also recall another difference...I installed Python 2.3 for my course use, and then changed the paths in windows so that i could run it without long CMD lines.
The windows paths weren't affected though so it's all very confusing ???

EEVIAC

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:46:47 AM »
If the problem happened more frequently this would be much easier to diagnose because it would be a matter of trial and error, more or less.

I saw a patch at microsoft.com for this specific error.  However, the patch is intended only for a Vista computer BSOSing while entering hibernation. 

hmm, what to do..

Get a multimeter and check the output voltages on the PSU.  Voltages should be within plus/minus 5% of the specified rating.  Any more than that I'd say the psu is a prime suspect.

Update the chipset driver.

What BRAND of memory are you using ?  I've got the memory QVL right in front of me but no brand name to go on...  It seems to me more and more, using ram not specified in the qvl causes odd errors, like this..

Sn3akyP3t3

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:51:31 PM »
    I don't know how accurate it is, but you can also check most voltages while the computer is running by using Speedfan.  I love that program!