Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I get antivirus program to go away?  (Read 8833 times)

@@

Re: How do I get antivirus program to go away?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 10:02:07 AM »
Question  for Allan   ???
if we use Registry Repair Software. such as Registry booster or other can solve this problem

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
such as Registry booster or other can solve this problem
Well, I'll answer it for you by saying no. It will do the opposite.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
Registry "repair" utilities cause more problems than they claim to fix. At best they are useless and harmless. At worst they will cause major issues.

@@

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
Well, I'll answer it for you by saying no. It will do the opposite.

and
Registry "repair" utilities cause more problems
Well. I am sure your words
But why all this amount of this type of program. From famous companies

:||x :||x :||x

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
I'm not going to get into a discussion or argument with you. Registry cleaners are useless. If you wish to believe otherwise that's your right.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »
and Well. I am sure your words
But why all this amount of this type of program. From famous companies
For the same reason there were many big companies releasing 'RAM compression' software that did nothing.
It makes money for them.
Evil is an exact science.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 08:39:12 PM »
famous companies? Like whom?

The only one that I can think of was regclean, by microsoft, and that was meant to solve a very specific issue under a specific set of circumstances.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 12:37:05 AM »
Advanced SystemCare does a great job at helping keep your system and registry clean. Plus it has a safety restore on it, which I've never needed to use yet. You can even go select it in the boot manager, if your current startup isn't working or you screwed something up, you have a backup startup (so it's a plus and not that large even). It also has system defense blocks in place, system optimatizations, a more advance disk defragger, security analyzer, spyware scan, etc, etc.

I got a free year license for it when Microsoft Win7 Party Launched as well as Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and a number of other security / cleanup programs, funny that! Even if i did pay, it would be worth it.

The amount of junk that gets entered into the Windows Registry and never removed is crazy, blame Microsoft and their creation of the registry mess and the other applications that don't clean up rather than the clean up tools that try fix it and performance issues.

As for 'RAM compression' it's mostly just unloading unused windows dlls (which you can do manually) and defrags your memory (not a major issue). Only helpful if you haven't got that much memory, which is cheap these days, so not really needed anymore. Back when you had 256MB it would of been a major performance boost.

or

The better but slower ways to keep a clean system, format the OS each month and unload background services from Windows.

or

Ignore it till your computer is slow as a slug, that i7 core and extra memory you purchased should help keep up the performance.

You can pick...
Aaron's Game Zone
The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 12:59:56 AM »
The amount of junk that gets entered into the Windows Registry and never removed is crazy, blame Microsoft and their creation of the registry mess and the other applications that don't clean up rather than the clean up tools that try fix it and performance issues.
First off, stuff that get's entered into the registry and never removed doesn't slow the system down.

Second they created the registry as a central settings repository. At the time trying to find out where a program saved it's settings was a matter of finding the right INI file. And oftentimes you'd have INI files all over the drive, and a lot of programs decided to just save their settings in WIN.INI, and since there was a built in limit of 64K for INI files this would often corrupt WIN.INI making the system unbootable.

As for 'RAM compression' it's just unloading unused windows dlls and defragging your memory. Only helpful if you haven't got that much memory, which is cheap these days, so not really needed anymore.
No. All it does is page <everything> out of RAM to the page file. You just end up paging it back into main memory. Not very productive. All it does is slow you down and give you a higher amount of free <physical> memory, at least for the short time you stand there staring at the little system tray icon showing free RAM. the moment you switch to another application you are greeted with disk trashing as that applications <entire> address space is paged in- not just the stuff that windows would have decided, over time, to page out because it wasn't used, but the entire thing. In either case, it's not helpful regardless of how much RAM you actually have.

Advanced SystemCare does a great job at helping keep your system and registry clean.

forgetting the rest of that first paragraph (startup manager? sounds more like a pretty face on copying registry keys, sure hope SystemCare stores those startup configs in a file, otherwise it's contributing to a "dirty" registry.

Which brings me back to the specific quote- I take odds against this one- how do you define a "Clean" registry? What is the difference between a "Clean" system or registry and a "dirty" one?

Just because the registry has a lot of keys/values that are not used and/or are forgotten does not constitute a "dirty" registry. In fact, I contend that since the registry cannot actually be made "dirty" it's also impossible to define exactly what "cleaning" the registry is, and this particular opinion is backed up by the fact that even those companies/individuals that create registry cleaners don't even come close to agreeing. one might find double, or three times the number of "obsolete" entries in the registry.

I've already covered this, in a lot of posts- but aside from the fact that defining a "Dirty" is impossible to reason out, it's equally impossible to determine programmatically.

First off, many people would contend that unused sections/keys in the registry are not used. This seems sensible.

However- how does a registry cleaner decide what is, and is not used? How does it "know" what registry keys are actually being used by applications and which ones aren't?

And of course there are the ones that go completely overboard and try to determine what registry keys are "invalid" this is an equally futile endeavour. Other applications store this data. Only the other applications know what it's for.

A lot of cleaners "recognize" when a REG_SZ value is a filename.

A lot of these cleaners determine that if that file does not actually exist, then the key is invalid.

However, what if the application uses that setting to determine where to <Create> a file or folder? Did the cleaner not just screw up that application? what happens when it starts up? Who knows! It might even crash! IF registry "dirt" like that caused crashes, you would think that "cleaning" the registry would do the opposite, but it doesn't always work that way.

I contend that the only Hive that can get "dirty" is the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key, (which is really just an alias for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\clsid key). why?

it's format is well defined- but! here's the kicker!

the format is <Not> documented! each version of windows introduced new values and keys within the classes key that changed or even made current "cleaning" tools redundant. The only actual cleaner would be a simple loop through all the keys. if that key has a DLL file reference that exists then it's valid. if not, delete it. This is especially the case when converting the defined progID to a CLSID does not actually reflect the CLSID of the component.

That's it. you cannot "clean" any of the other hives, merely because you cannot define what a "dirty" registry is any more then you can say wether a file on your file system is unused.

@@

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 07:37:36 AM »
My question does not mean I am a supporter of these programs or not.
But I'm sure I used this program several times and the result:
my Computers did not become Superman or like the speed of light >:(. On the other hand. Did not die or hang  :'(

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »
My question does not mean I am a supporter of these programs or not.
But I'm sure I used this program several times and the result:
my Computers did not become Superman or like the speed of light >:(. On the other hand. Did not die or hang  :'(
Right. And that's the best possible outcome - that registry utilities end up doing no harm.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
blame Microsoft and their creation of the registry mess and the other applications that don't clean up rather than the clean up tools that try fix it and performance issues.
Why are you so anti-MS?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Why are you so anti-MS?
Anti-MS is fine.

people with <that> amount of MS hate, still using windows, means they are just trying to sound cool.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
I not actually fully anti-microsoft, yes I use it (but fully tweaked), just anti some of the way they have done thing and how they treat the user as a complete noob and want to embedd a few hundred of their own junk which I would never use or just creates a big hole in the security. Stable, performance and secure is better, microsoft focuses mostly on the pretty. However, it's not just Microsoft that's gone that path to get more sales.

Do you remember the time you first installed the OS and how fast/smooth it was before all the extras? And yes it will slow down over time if not managed. Well a brand new OS is nothing in performance compared to a fully tweaked one.

I'm the kind of person that expects a 1 millisecond delay or less. I don't want to wait between clicks, applications loading, starting up and shutting down, etc. Most of it is setup and tweaked to be instant on my computer. I get alarmed if it doesn't.

Entirely up to you what you use and do on your computer, I don't care, was just a suggestion.

I was just saying some system care tools are still good and helpful, but 'RAM compression' tools are rubbish these days (i thought they had a purpose early on with less RAM, but I might of been wrong).
Aaron's Game Zone
The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 03:31:41 PM »
famous companies? Like whom?
Probably the best selling RAM Compression utility was QuarterDeck's MagnaRAM '97.
Evil is an exact science.