Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying .doc with charts  (Read 6285 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Copying .doc with charts
    « on: April 13, 2010, 05:11:55 AM »
    I have used Word 2000 to produce articles. I have then installed charts from Excel 2000 in these .doc. When I have copied the .doc to a site, the charts do not appear. There is space for them and there is a symbol at the top, left hand corner. I expect I am missing something quite simple but Help has not helped me to sort it out.
    I click on the Notify me of replies box below but do not get notification.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Copying .doc with charts
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »
    I have used Word 2000 to produce articles. I have then installed charts from Excel 2000 in these .doc. ...
    Depends on how you "installed" the Excel charts into the word document.  I suspect they are linked and not actually part of the Word file.  If you did copy & paste, this would explain the issue.  Use Copy, Paste--Special, select Picture.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
    Is this a new issue? Have  you done this before and it just now failed? Or do lyu mean that you have never done this before and want to know why it does not work?
    As a general rule, a word document would be sent as an e-mail attachment. Ifg you wish to publish it on the web it ought to be a HTML file or perhaps a PDF document. But some people do publish in the Word DOC format.

As CC said above, the graphs have to be embedded as static objects in the DOC file. They must not be  dynamic links.

If you convent them to HTML they will have GIF files that must go with the HTML files. If you convert them to PDF the resulting document will be a self-contained text and graphic file.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:22 AM »
      The Excel chart is not linked to the .doc. I have used the Paste Special and I have not checked the link box. I have copied all the different forms listed, including Picture. I have also followed the Excel Help which entails holding down the Shift key to copy a picture. I have copied .doc files with charts to a number of sites. some work and some do not. Maybe I would be better off to convert to PDF. I am still puzzled as to why I was not notified of this latest reply.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:14:02 AM »
        I have converted one of the .doc files with Excel charts to a PDF file and it looks good. I have tried to copy it using the hand tool as Help says but it does not copy to the Clipboard and there is an error message to that effect.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
        That's no surprise, pdf's are not copyable as a whole.  You can copy some text from it to the clipboard.