Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My question is related to Microsoft Windows XP Professional, I really need help  (Read 3689 times)

Katy1977

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Hi,
      The question that I have asked and have been waiting to get some feedback and responses for is related to Microsoft Windows XP which is my OS (I just switched back, had Vista). I am a member on another forum and know that there are certain protocols, so I really don't want to seem like a pest, but I really could use some help here. I have been trying very hard to get my printer to work and think it isn't working because of a DOS problem with XP. The thread is here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,103055.0.html I am asking again that some of you here please read the thread and give me some guidance and advice. I wish I was in a position to help some of you and maybe one day I will be, I realize how important it is to be an active member of an online forum community and joined this forum in the hopes of learning and finding the answers that I need. Thank you so much for any help. :)

Katy1977

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    I'm sorry - what is your question?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Good morning,
    Please excuse any grammar errors you may see here. This is being done with voice dictation in order to give you the natural that is friendly and useful.
    Sometime earlier, I think it was on this forum, I made the statement that she cannot install windows XP on a new laptop computer that was designed for Vista. As you might expect, there were many who wanted to contradict my generalized statement. I still believe, in the broad application, that is still true.
    Perhaps it is best to illustrate the idea by example. Personally, I am very, very slim and your with windows XP. But recently my daughter bought a brand-new laptop at Wal-Mart for a real bargain price and it came with Vista Home. Rather than telling her to go back to XP, I just left her alone is a eventually she figured out how to use it. I would consider her to be a slightly above average computer user, but not someone who could do a complete reinstall of an operating system that was not included in the original design criteria. She has become very adept at using windows Vista.
    So then, this is not a putdown. I am not making fun of you. I just want to say that if you have difficulty adjusting to the start, you are the kind of person that will have even more difficulty trying to install windows XP on a computer that was not to is designed for that in the first place.
    And yes, I have several operating systems here in my private hideaway.
    My best honest advice to you is to go back to using Vista.

Katy1977

Topic Starter

Rookie
      I'm sorry - what is your question?

If you read the thread referred to above it will explain everything, I was actually able to copy and paste a file from my laptop onto my desktop because it seems that Microsoft has created a bug in some versions of XP that prevent it from running DOS applications. I was able to get the computer to communicate with the laptop but it is still not printing. I found a suggestion on the internet that says to copy files (all of which I have now on my computer) and am wondering if this will work, if those files will just override my files, and if it is safe and/or advisable. Thanks again. :)

Katy1977

Allan

• Mastermind
      If you read the thread referred to above it will explain everything,
      Katy1977
      So you are posting a question here but in order for us to know what the question is you want us to go to another link? Ahhh - I see.

Katy1977

Topic Starter

Rookie
        Good morning,
        Please excuse any grammar errors you may see here. This is being done with voice dictation in order to give you the natural that is friendly and useful.
        Sometime earlier, I think it was on this forum, I made the statement that she cannot install windows XP on a new laptop computer that was designed for Vista. As you might expect, there were many who wanted to contradict my generalized statement. I still believe, in the broad application, that is still true.
        Perhaps it is best to illustrate the idea by example. Personally, I am very, very slim and your with windows XP. But recently my daughter bought a brand-new laptop at Wal-Mart for a real bargain price and it came with Vista Home. Rather than telling her to go back to XP, I just left her alone is a eventually she figured out how to use it. I would consider her to be a slightly above average computer user, but not someone who could do a complete reinstall of an operating system that was not included in the original design criteria. She has become very adept at using windows Vista.
        So then, this is not a putdown. I am not making fun of you. I just want to say that if you have difficulty adjusting to the start, you are the kind of person that will have even more difficulty trying to install windows XP on a computer that was not to is designed for that in the first place.
        And yes, I have several operating systems here in my private hideaway.
        My best honest advice to you is to go back to using Vista.

I did not take your advice as a put down at all, and want to say that a computer repairman downgraded me to Wndows XP when I mentioned I liked it better than Vista and since then I cannot get my printer, which I need, to work. I was very comfortable using Vista and do have some computer experience since I do run an online business, but prefer Windows XP. You made a very good point in that perhaps my desktop (a Dell Studio) simply wasn't designed to work with Windows XP. I guess the worst case scenario would be to go back to Vista, which I really didn't want to do, but if it is necessary I will have to do that... Thanks for your feedback. :)

Katy1977

Katy1977

Topic Starter

Rookie

The link is actually to another thread that I started, do you think it would be better for me to copy and paste the entire thread? Please let me know, I just thought it was more efficient to let people read that thread and see all of the details, thanks.

Katy1977

Allan

• Mastermind
          Sorry - so you've already got a thread on this question and now you're starting another? Okay, I really don't get it.

Katy1977

Topic Starter

Rookie
            Sorry - so you've already got a thread on this question and now you're starting another? Okay, I really don't get it.

I started this thread because I didn't feel that people were responding to the other thread, and thought that this section of the forum would have been the better place to put it. Can you please read the other thread? It seems as if you have a lot of expertise and I would like to hear your feedback. Trust me, I will never do it this way again, I'm just trying to get some help and really believed that this place would offer it to me. Thanks for any help. :)

Katy1977