Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Useless messages  (Read 3076 times)

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Useless messages
    « on: April 14, 2010, 04:22:45 AM »
    Alright, what is the meaning of these useless messages that some apps give, such as FireFox?

e.g.: "Oops! You messed up!", "Oops! FireFox crashed!", "Oops, something wrong occurred!"

HOW ABOUT GIVING ME THE ACTUAL ERROR IN ASSEMBLY DETAIL SO I KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON?!
    No, I don't feel like going to eventvwr.
    Man, how are users supposed to advance this way? They treat them like they are retards.

What the... now my eventvwr application log is corrupt?! =D LOL
    Edit: I fixed it. The Application log was full. Application log properties -> change size to something larger (factor of 64). I changed it to 48xxx.

Here's the link:  application log corrupt

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Useless messages
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:40:13 AM »
    Is this informative?

To some people, maybe. But consider the <HUNDREDS> if not <THOUSANDS> of support calls that probably went like this:

Tech: Technical support, can I help you?
    Customer: Shh, be quiet! I think the feds are onto me!
    Tech: Excuse me?
    Customer: you don't know? My computer did something!
    Tech: Alright... what happened?
    Customer: Well... I'm not sure, but I don't want to go to jail!
    Tech: Sir, I assure you, people aren't sent to jail because they have problems with their computers
    Customer: Did you know they do things that are ILLEGAL? That's what it said! "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down! I hope the government doesn't think <I> told the program to do that! I didn't! I'm an innocent bystander!

And of course, we have the easily readable error from windows NT:

This basically says, "the program crashed. Here's some useless gibberish"

Windows XP... well, it's a little better...

OF course I can only guess at the number of totally redundant Error reports that the MS servers get.

The win7 one seems a lot more informative.

Of course, you're talking about firefox (and other applications of that nature)... I imagine you're referring (for example) to functionality like the automatic tab restoration, whereby starting FF after a crash shows the "Well, This is embarassing" or something similar error.

Consider the program state. It just started. (I don't know how FF keeps track of dirty shut downs) but lets say, all it knows is it didn't shut down properly.

It doesn't know why. In fact, It cannot know why- it crashed- there was no chance to save even what the error code was. (well, technically they could install a global error handler or something, but that has other connotations that would mess it up even worse). All it knows is it had those tabs open, and can open them. the prompt is displayed, because for all FF knows, the crash was caused by one of the pages or a plugin or other item on one of those tabs.

If Firefox crashes, however, you can get the very same information as you would for any other application crash; (for example, the various "Details" or "View what this report contains" items on all the above (except NT4) can be used to view this information.

Note that it might be that the use of the error reporting dialogs are disabled- this was the case for my XP VM for some reason. I could double-click "crasher.exe" until I was blue in the face, but it didn't do anything. and I was trying to crash, I mean, seriously, copying 16MB to a null address cannot possibly succeed!  :P
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:02:28 AM »
    Tech: Technical support, can I help you?
    Customer: Shh, be quiet! I think the feds are onto me!
    Tech: Excuse me?
    Customer: you don't know? My computer did something!
    Tech: Alright... what happened?
    Customer: Well... I'm not sure, but I don't want to go to jail!
    Tech: Sir, I assure you, people aren't sent to jail because they have problems with their computers
    Customer: Did you know they do things that are ILLEGAL? That's what it said! "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down! I hope the government doesn't think <I> told the program to do that! I didn't! I'm an innocent bystander!

;D

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:12:38 AM »
      Rolling on the floor laughing @ Tech Support.

I find the Windows NT and the Windows 7 ones to be the most informative.
      If I see c0000005, then I know it's in the video memory area of the memory segment map.

Windows 7 has the best error report, I find, because it offers both a report for experts and some easy click suggestions for noobs.

The messed up thing is, I tried to start firefox fresh from coming out of standby, FireFox crashes, suggests me to restart it, I click 'restart', it crashes again with the same UI error report, loop loop loop.. I had to install the latest build (even though I had 3.x!) lol.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »
      If I see c0000005, then I know it's in the video memory area of the memory segment map.

0xC0000005 is the exception code for an access violation...

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
        What's an access violation? o.o
        Is that like trying to write to RAM to an address that's out of scope?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
        What's an access violation? o.o
        Is that like trying to write to RAM to an address that's out of scope?

It's trying to read from memory you don't have read access to or write to memory you don't have write access to.

It's almost always a result of a null pointer, or a similar issue.