Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ntfs.sys missing and cd drive access denied  (Read 5664 times)

spider0735

Topic Starter

Rookie

ntfs.sys missing and cd drive access denied
    « on: April 16, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
    Hi all,
    I have a pretty weird problem.  When I boot up my friends computer, it would say that the ntfs.sys file is missing or corrupted and try to use the recovery console from the windows installation cd to restore the file.  This isn't the first time that I have done this, but for some reason, this time, it just wouldn't work.

When I typed in:
    copy d:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

it would output:
    access is denied.

I have tried all other letters and i still got the same result.  Is there any way that I can get access to the cd drive?  Although, when I did chkdsk on D:, it says that there was one thing wrong with it, but the cd is working fine if it was able to read the CD into the recovery console, right?  I just want to get his computer to work because...well i said i will fix it for him.  any advice would be great!
    Thanks.

T.C.

Beginner

Re: ntfs.sys missing and cd drive access denied
      « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
      It could be that access is denied to c:\Windows\system32\drivers\ - check the attribs and change if necessary.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »
      Is this a Sharpie version of an XP CD ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

spider0735

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 01:47:45 PM »
        ok, I got it working now.  Went and used MAP and got the device letter for my CD drive and successfully copied the file.  it ended up being drive H:!!!!  that was really weird.