Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows boot problem, blue screen error (*** STOP: 0x0000007B)  (Read 4965 times)

virmantas

Topic Starter

Rookie

my hard drive was acting weird for like 2 months, i kept getting disk I/O error in skype, google chrome was messing up everything BIG TIME, programs repeatedly not responding  etc.

few days ago my windows did'nt start up after shut down, i got notice that there's no boot disk so this led me to buy new hdd. so i bought new hdd and tried to boot windows and everything went fine till there's a line at the bottom "setup is starting windows" and then goes the blue screen that looks like that:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive if it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart computer.

*** STOP: 0x0000007b
    there are lots of other parameters in brackets following this one, let me know if you need to see them.

previous OS - vista, trying to install xp. reminder - NEW hard drive.

what might cause this and what can i do to fix it? maybe my hdd has to be formated before i boot?

thank you people

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: windows boot problem, blue screen error (*** STOP: 0x0000007B)
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:24:35 PM »
    From MSDN:

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    (Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
    Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcs365_2

Beginner

Re: windows boot problem, blue screen error (*** STOP: 0x0000007B)
      « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »
      Hi,

You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message in the following scenarios:
      A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is not configured to start during the startup process.
      A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is corrupted.
      Information in the Windows XP registry (information related to how the device drivers load during startup) is corrupted.
      Windows XP requires a miniport driver to communicate with the hard disk controller that is used to start your computer. If Windows XP does not supply a device driver for your controller or if Windows XP is using a corrupted or incompatible driver, you must replace the driver with a valid copy that is compatible with your controller and Windows XP.

During the first phase of the Windows XP installation, Setup displays the following message at the bottom of the screen:
      Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.
      Press F6 and then follow the instructions to install a mass-storage device driver from your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). For additional information about using F6 to load an OEM device driver to support, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      314859  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859/ ) Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP Setup
      To determine if your hard disk controller is compatible with Windows XP and to obtain information about drivers that are included on the Windows XP CD-ROM or that are available for download, see the latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). For additional information about the latest Windows XP HCL, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      314062  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314062/ ) The latest Windows XP hardware compatibility list
      If your hard disk controller is not listed on the HCL, contact the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller for information about the availability of a driver. Microsoft does not guarantee that a resolution is available for non-HCL equipment. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      315239  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315239/ ) Microsoft support policy for hardware that does not appear on the Windows HCL
      If the System hive in the Windows XP registry is corrupted, Windows XP may not be able to load the miniport device driver that the boot controller requires. To resolve this issue, restore a registry backup. For additional information about restoring a registry backup, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      307545  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/ ) How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
      PCS365.2
      Bangalore.