Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer is not booting in normal mode.  (Read 2472 times)

pk3

Topic Starter

Computer is not booting in normal mode.
    « on: April 17, 2010, 03:24:50 AM »
    Been having this problem for a few hours now and have had no success in fixing it. The problem is that the computer will load to the black windows xp page, the bars on that page will load, and then it switches off that screen and prepares to load the desktop, but never does. The screen is frozen black. I can load the computer in safe mode and safe mode with networking, but that is it. I have not seen any error messages during startup/ blue screen.

I have tried these things to no avail:
    - System restore
    - Disk checking error thing (will not load past step 2 out of 5 during the error checking and actually made it where I could not use safe mode at all for a while)
    - Using selective startup disabling anything but basics from loading
    - Using diagnostic startup
    - Using the RECOVERY disks that were made when computer was bought about a year ago (the first disk will load a blank grey screen as if it were going to work, but never loads)
    - Using the recovery agent on the computer (says it is not available in safe mode)

Thoughts?

EEVIAC

Re: Computer is not booting in normal mode.
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 06:03:17 AM »

- Using the RECOVERY disks that were made when computer was bought about a year ago (the first disk will load a blank grey screen as if it were going to work, but never loads)

If your not even able to boot off of a recovery disc then this is a hardware issue..

Post the make/model of the computer...

btk1w1

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:35:51 AM »
      I have seen similar problems with display adapter drivers.

What happens is the Windows generic drivers will work during the boot process until it is time to load the display adapter software / drivers.

This is why safe mode with / without networking is able to display the OS, it doesn't need and doesn't load the third party software.

Try going into safe mode with networking and go into device manager. Once there expand the display adapter option and choose to automatically update any display adapter software.

This problem usually occurs with a GPU, so if you have onboard graphics you could try using it instead until the problem is resolved.

pk3

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »
        Ok, I removed a ram stick and the computer loaded past the black windows xp screen to the password screen, where it let me put the password in, and then loaded my desktop back ground but NOTHING else (no desktop icons, start bar, etc). It will also not recognize my mouse after I load normal mode and have plugged in and restarted several times.

EEVIAC

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »
        Try Safe Mode and see if you get mouse and icons back..