Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: modem adsl & fax  (Read 2855 times)

islander

modem adsl & fax
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »
Have just installed office jet 4500 all in one..fax, printer, scan and copy.
adsl service says to plug directly into phone line...where do I plug in the phone line
from printer/fax?
is there a re-route...modem to fax/printer and then to phone line?
appeciate your help

truenorth

Guru

Re: modem adsl & fax
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
    I hope i am understanding your question correctly. I believe that you are using a DSL service for your ISP. Is that correct? Yes there should be a phone line input/output on the "all in one"That will be required to send/receive fax messages by the fax component of the all in one. So a phone connection is needed. If your DSL modem has a phone line connection (in addition to the one from the ISP) you can use that for the phone line. However most dsl modems that i know of don't have that connection. Therefore you need to plug the other end into a phone jack.Now while i am not absolutely certain as it is necessary to have "filters" on all other than the DSL/computer connection line it is probably also advisable (maybe even required) that that connection also be on a filtered line. While you don't mention the brand of your all in one here is a link to the HP site with their guidance for doing what you seek to do. It should be helpful. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bpu60006&lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&lang=&product=59830
    truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: modem adsl & fax
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
    Have just installed office jet 4500 all in one..fax, printer, scan and copy.
    adsl service says to plug directly into phone line...where do I plug in the phone line
    from printer/fax?
    is there a re-route...modem to fax/printer and then to phone line?
    appeciate your help
    Do you have DSL & telephone service (i.e., land line)?  Telephone & DSL share the same wires & you can have one service without the other.  If you have no land line, you cannot use the FAX function.