Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Sound, Creative X-Fi Driver Fiasco  (Read 1946 times)

pietastesgood

No Sound, Creative X-Fi Driver Fiasco
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
Hello,

Well, my audio drivers and system seems completely fried. Earlier this week, I updated my Creative X-Fi Sound Blaster drivers to the July 30, 2009 update. I restarted and everything got messed up. Mouse drivers dead, display drivers dead, audio drivers dead, internet drivers dead. Unfortunately, I thought that it was just the audio drivers that were causing the problem. As a result, I fiddled around with the audio drivers and audio control panel a bit too much, and most of them got deleted. I then tried installing the 7-30-2009 update again, and I got a BSOD as a result. I performed a system restore and got back to the state right before I installed. It was around then that I discovered that it was not just the audio drivers messing everything up, but rather a complete failure of various drivers due to the audio driver installation. I fixed my mouse, display, and internet drivers by reloading them via device manager. But the audio didn't work. Apparently something I'd fiddled around with earlier messed it up. Luckily, I discovered that most of my drivers and programs had been backed up, so I restored those drivers and audio programs back to where they were supposed to be. I reloaded, nothing. System restore won't work, as I unfortunately seem to not have any restore points from before the disaster.

If I delete all drivers for the device via device manager, I get an audio device called High Definition Audio Device, which is actually my X-Fi, and it seems after I delete all the drivers my audio card is no longer recognized; and the audio still doesn't work. If I don't, my audio card is still recognized, but the audio still doesn't work.

I then re-installed the 7-30-2009 driver update again after going into safe-mode and wiping all of my Creative drivers via Guru3d's DriverSweeper. The driver update didn't mess up the computer this time, but it didn't do anything either. Later, I discovered my drivers were still only at the April 20, 2009 update. Oh well.

I have an alternative sound source, an ATI High Definition Audio Device. Is there some way to activate this ATI device, or simply fix my X-Fi (preferable)?

I'm completely out of ideas, and I'm desperate. I've already spent at least 30 hours this week trying to fix this, and nothing I do seems to work. Please assist me.

Thank you very much in advance!

Specs: Windows 7 x64 Pre-installed
Creative X-Fi Sound Blaster Titanium
ATI Radeon 4850 1 GB
8 GB RAM
1 TB HDD