Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Steam on Vista X64  (Read 3346 times)

Tim_Cdy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Steam on Vista X64
    « on: April 18, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
    Hi. I downloaded a copy of FM2010 after having bought a boxed version. Thought I would try that install method over the DVD. This however was after I experianced problems with the patching system.

The thing is though, I ultimately decided to stick with the boxed ver. Since then though, the load time of Vista's sys tray has increased from the GUI portion of the boot. Getting past the POST is not a problem but still slower after password logon. Has Steam corrupted something at any level or what else could be the cause? Any ideas. Thanx

MendMyComputer

Rookie

• Yes
      • MendMyComputer
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Steam on Vista X64
    « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:42:56 PM »
    You can try running msconfig (start, run, msconfig, enter) Try disabling the steam items from start-up and services tab, and see if your log-on is then quicker.

A combination of disabling different options should help you discover which ones are causing it to slow down
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I work at  MendMyComputer

Tim_Cdy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:05:12 AM »
      Blimey, did not know I posted this. Must have a had a few.

I determined that Steam had caused some lag (for want of a better term) so I did end the process. That helpled. Thing is that Messenger appeared to do the same. Updated that and it loads to the logon screen quicker.

However, something is still causing the systray to kind of half stall, then reignite and vroom vroom if you know what I mean. Next target was AVG. I disconnected my Hub and turned off WiFi function on reboot and no real tangible difference on the eye or clock. I'm thinking that something is resident that is looping commands or something, I have a Ram problem or Vista 64 is slow because it just happens to be slow on my lappy.

Thanx for the reply BTW.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »
      DLoad install and run StartupCPL from Mike Lin...
      It will give you a comprehensive list of all startup items and background apps...

Don't disable anything if you don't know what it is.
      The app is low on resources and will add a Startup icon to Control Panel where it xan be launched from...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:29:06 PM »
      Your steam is updating your game...

Downloaded game will already be mostly updated and just need patches.

Boxed Games will need way more updating.

Steam defaults to annoyingly automatic updating, if it's a huge update and you have a slow connection it will seem to freeze after logging in. You should disable steam from running at startup as this can be fustrating if doing other stuff or using the net as well.

Leave it running to update when no one else is using the net after a while it should display a percent progress bar, ensure it fully updates the game before attempting to play.

If you think the game is corrupted, right-click the game in steam, check and verify this game. It will re-download any corrupted files.

If you think steam is corrupted:
      Exit Steam
      Open a ‘Command Prompt’ (cmd.exe if you are using ‘Run…’ from the start menu)
      Run: “c:\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe” /repair
      Note: Change “c:\Program Files” to wherever you have steam installed. For a 64 bit OS the default would be: “c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe” /repair
      Start Steam

Note:
      You can also simply delete most the files and it will redownload them all again.

Aaron's Game Zone
      The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

Tim_Cdy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:04:51 AM »
        DLoad install and run StartupCPL from Mike Lin...
        It will give you a comprehensive list of all startup items and background apps...

Don't disable anything if you don't know what it is.
        The app is low on resources and will add a Startup icon to Control Panel where it xan be launched from...

Thanx, will look into that pronto.

Your steam is updating your game...

Downloaded game will already be mostly updated and just need patches.

Boxed Games will need way more updating.

Steam defaults to annoyingly automatic updating, if it's a huge update and you have a slow connection it will seem to freeze after logging in. You should disable steam from running at startup as this can be fustrating if doing other stuff or using the net as well.

Leave it running to update when no one else is using the net after a while it should display a percent progress bar, ensure it fully updates the game before attempting to play.

If you think the game is corrupted, right-click the game in steam, check and verify this game. It will re-download any corrupted files.

If you think steam is corrupted:
        Exit Steam
        Open a ‘Command Prompt’ (cmd.exe if you are using ‘Run…’ from the start menu)
        Run: “c:\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe” /repair
        Note: Change “c:\Program Files” to wherever you have steam installed. For a 64 bit OS the default would be: “c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe” /repair
        Start Steam

Note:
        You can also simply delete most the files and it will redownload them all again.

Not using Steam to play the game. I'll look into whether Steam maybe trying to update a ghost file or something. Cleaned out all Steam entrys regarding the game. Only kept on the system due to an online game I may get. Other than that, I don't use Steam and no updating.