Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Could this be a Bios error?  (Read 3431 times)

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

Could this be a Bios error?
    « on: April 16, 2010, 02:03:10 PM »
    Hi All!, I'm unable to (re)load Win 7 onto my PC. I get as far as entering the Prod. Code then am told it is not the correct code. I know it is, but M/S says not. It is exactly the same PC AS i originally installed this Op Sys on (except for a change of DVD drive). It is a retail copy. What's wrong, am I doing something wrong here? I have tried to install XP ((twice again retail) & get  'Error loading Operating System' each time. I have run Memtest twice with no errors. Every time I restart POST says 'Overclock failed, set defaults'. I have not overclocked anything & the boot order has changed back to Floppy 1st. I am now at a loss as to what to do. Specs as per 'Specs' Alexma
    Finding a grub in your apple, is not as bad as finding half a grub in..........

btk1w1

Rookie

Re: Could this be a Bios error?
      « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:37:30 PM »
      A part of the problem could be a BIOS configuration error.

Is this a desktop pc that you are having these problems with?

If you have never messed with RAM and CPU timings and voltages, and don't have hardware RAID configured it will be safe to reset the BIOS back to defaults. You can do this by either removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes or there may be a jumper beside the CMOS chip you can use.

You will bebable to tell if the reset has succeeded because your date and time will be out. These will need to be reset.

One big problem people have had in the past with Microsofts product key is differentiating between the number 8 and the letter B. I myself toiled with a product key for hours a few yeare ago before I realised I was misreading the code.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »
      Power down the machine and remove all power sources...
      Open a side panel and remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes...

Replace the battery re-plug and power up and try the install again.
      NOTE: If it fails the 2nd time replace the CMOS battery...Part # CR2032 ,,,available anywhere,
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:00:17 AM »
        Thanks Patio, but I have already done that (renewed battery) reset time & date etc. During install it gets a far as the second restart, then crashes & tries to start win. At the moment it is saying ''Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file####' and scrolling thru all the files. I will leave it to do this for a while.

btk1w1

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:06:18 AM »
          alexma,

You haven't described the configuration of your system and exactly what you are trying to do.

Is the system a dual boot XP & Windows 7?

Are there multiple HDDs? Or is it one partitioned to accomodate 2 OSs?

The reason I ask is I recently performed a malware repair on a PC which was giving out a system configuration error which had nothing to do with the power on self test, but appeared before the operating system fully loaded. I performed a repair install of the OS then some system recovery and the PC was good as gold.

I'm not suggesting the symptoms are identical, but it will help to remedy the problem if more info is supplied.

Do you have data you need to preserve?

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
            Hi All, Sorry about the delay in answering. I changed the DVD drive as it would not respond to any 'Auto run' settings nor would it load the driver/utility for my sound card, also if I tried to instal Ms Office Pro, would immediatly get a BSOD. I also assumed this to be the reason Win 7 would not load. During several attempts to install W7 I got a Checkdisc should be run request. This I did 4 times. S.M.A.R.T. reported all ok. As I do'nt have a spare SATA drive I hooked up a 80Gb EIDE drive & tried that. Win 7 loaded perfectly!!I have ordered a new 500Gb HDD (SATA) which has just arrived and am loading Win on it now. OK, it installed with no problems except that now, when I enter the prod. key it says The S'ware Licencing Service determined that this specified Prod. Key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations. I originally did a clean install & yet another yesterday on another HDD (as prev. mentioned) Anyone know how I can proceed from here? Thanks in advance, Alexma

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 02:07:50 PM »
              OK, All is working now. It must have been a faulty HDD causing all the trouble. This drive is just over 1 year old (Seagate), & I'm wondering if there is any warranty left? Anyone know? Best wishes to all and thank you. Alexma

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »
              Seagates are normally 5 years warranty...
              That's why i buy basically theirs and Western Digitals....

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
                Thanks Patio, If I d/load & run the Seagate tool, will it tell me if it is faulty? Is there any other way it can be tested before I RMA it? Can HDDs cause a Blue Screen, because if so this could have been the cause of many of my previous problems? Regards Alexma

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
                Yes.
                Seatools will do this...FREE.
                Follow the guide for creating a bootable CD...
                It's more accurate than running it from Windows.

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »
                  Please excuse me, but is the answer 'Yes' to both questions I asked? ie the Blue Screen andthe Seatools?  ???

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »
                  SeaTools will tell you if the drive is bad or iffy...

BSOD's can be caused by hundreds of issues...

Sorry i didn't clarify that.