Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot  (Read 2890 times)

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

Computer won't boot
    « on: April 20, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
    I have just replaced the motherboard for this computer, Aopen s651m-u.  The computer will not boot up and the error CMOS Checksum error- defaults loaded comes up.  I have checked PS, Memory, and changed the battery, I have reset the defaults in BIOS.  After I reset defaults and exit BIOS i get a blank monitor. I can't update the BIOS because I can't boot up.   Anybody have any ideas?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Computer won't boot
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
    After I reset defaults and exit BIOS i get a blank monitor.    Anybody have any ideas?

Is the hard drive plugged in?
    Did you install an operating system?
    Can you boot to CD?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:55:15 PM »
      Yes the hard drive is plugged in,  I have Windows XP installed on the hard drive and no it won't boot to CD. It gives the error message and the option to push DEL to enter setup or F1 to continue,. if I continue it goes to a blank screen. and anything I do in setup after I save and exit it goes to blank screen.

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »
      Checksum errors can be caused by defective motherboards or worn cmos batteries.  Since your board is new, I doubt the battery is the problem, especially since you haven't even booted one time yet..

The fact that you can't even boot form a CD points to a hardware problem. 

I would return the motherboard...

edit: when you get another board, you have to reinstall XP after the hard drive is installed..  You can't just add a hard drive to the system with an OS pre-installed...
      « Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:53:14 PM by EEVIAC »

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:18:42 AM »
        Could the problem be that the BIOS needs updated?  And if so is there a way to do it from setup?  Some people seem to think this is the problem.

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:54:32 AM »
        If I were you I would just return the board.  You shouldn't have to update the bios to get it to work properly.  Depending on the store/company you got it from, it might actually void the warranty on it..

I suppose there is a chance the battery that came with the board is bad.  You can buy a battery from Walmart or some other drug store.  The part number is CR-2032

See below..

edit:  I have to correct myself when I said failure to boot from a CD indicates a hardware problem.  Generally this is would indicate a hardware problem, but your system would not boot far enough to even read the CD drive...  Regardless, I think your board is faulty..

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]
        « Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:21:28 AM by EEVIAC »

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
          Thanks EEVIAC I did try a new battery before and no go.  I suspected the board but wanted a second opinion I will send it back.  Thanks again .

Sn3akyP3t3

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »
            AOPEN didn't have a manual to download for viewing so I pulled one from here:
            http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/AOPEN/S651M-_E
            Its up to your discretion to view the PDF from the above posted site.

I did see on page 27 there is a jumper pin for clearing the CMOS settings.  I suppose it could cause this error post if left in the clear jumper setting.  It might be worthwhile verifying the jumper setting before sending the board back unless you already did so.  Pins 1 & 2 are the jumper setting for normal.  This should have been the position the jumper setting should have shipped to you as being it is the documented default.

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:05 AM »
              thanks Sn3akyP3t3 but I already tried that.