Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: world of warcraft  (Read 6262 times)

alltools nobrains

Topic Starter

Rookie

world of warcraft
    « on: March 11, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »
    trying to install this game in a new pc built by me. It will get so far 20 % 45% 70% then it will say some error or another last error it gave me was c/users not defined or something to that matter went to wow website and they have ideas as to winx/p but doesnt say anything about win 7 is it compatible

PC is
    asus m4n78pro
    amd9850 quad phenomx4
    ocz 4096mbddr2 2x2048 x2=8mb
    500gb WD hddcaviar blue

other errors were bad disc and couldnt install blood error4

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: world of warcraft
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »
    trying to install this game in a new pc built by me. It will get so far 20 % 45% 70% then it will say some error or another last error it gave me was c/users not defined or something to that matter went to wow website and they have ideas as to winx/p but doesnt say anything about win 7 is it compatible

other errors were bad disc and couldnt install blood error4

If you want any real help, you're going to have to give more detail like specific error messages, not "some error or another". Remember, we're not psychic and can't see your computer.

Hdthree

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
      It is W7 compatible afaik, I was playing it on a W7 pc earlier today. Are you installing it via the disks or are you downloading it from the website? If your downloading it from the website there is always the possibility of corrupt files.

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »
        It will get so far 20 % 45% 70%

Dude Give Some More Info

Are You Installing Form orignal Disc Or A Pirated Copy

mroilfield

Mentor
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 06:53:23 AM »
        The below was taken from the WoW website. Did you use a retail version of Windows 7 when you built your PC?

"The exact hardware requirements for Windows 7 are still being calculated. Only retail versions of Windows 7 are supported. "
        You can't fix Stupid!!!

wragh

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:49:22 AM »
          take a look at getting some new drivers.

geewhiz

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 06:17:07 AM »
          Dude Give Some More Info

Are You Installing Form orignal Disc Or A Pirated Copy

It's the same game either way(after update of course). The game world of warcraft does not require a serial key to activate it nor a disk to be present in the disc drive. It only requires an account and password. In addition, you can easily access the game through either a virtual server or a private server. They may change this in the future however, but people will always found a way around game company's road blocks (Assasin's creed 2 virtual DRM server*cough)
          Press the button and hope nothing explodes.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
          It's not the same either way. Pirated versions of programs often hide other malicious software and therefore might cause installation or program running failures. If he's installing from the original disc, we know that's not the problem. If it's a pirated copy, he/she could be having issues with an altered installer.

geewhiz

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 06:36:52 AM »
          Fair enough, didn't actually consider that since I've never tried to use a pirated version before.
          Press the button and hope nothing explodes.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
          • Aaron's Game Zone
            • Aaron's Game Zone
          « Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »
          As 'Hdthree' it could be a compatible issue with Win7, corruption or (what I think) your encountering access/privilege problems.

Windows 7 Beta is known not to be uncompatible with World of Warcraft, you need to update Win7 if you are using this.

If not...

1. Right-click and 'Run As Administrator' on the installer.

or

Default:
          World of Warcraft installs to: "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\"
          The Burnign Crusade installs to: "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\"
          Wrath of the Lich King moves the WoW folder and installs to: "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft"

It apparently advises you to do this to prevent problems with patching. If using the Expansions or updating note the "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft" can be restricted by Windows 7.

Windows 7 can also prevent some renaming of files done near the end of the install progress.

The good news is WoW doesn't setup the registry in the installer until you run 'wow.exe' to play the game. This means it can be easily manually installed.

1. Start Windows in Safe Mode (to prevent Microsoft issues).

2. Uninstall World of Warcraft. After completing the uninstallation, open "My Programs" from the "Start Menu" and delete the WoW folder left behind by the uninstallation.

3. Create a new folder on your Desktop. You might call it 'wow installer', or something similar. You can do this by right-clicking the desktop, clicking New, and "Folder".

4. Put "Disc 1" of World of Warcraft into your computer. Do not start the installer. Instead, Open "My Computer", right click the CD drive, and click "Explore".

5. Copy and paste the contents of the World of Warcraft CD to the new folder.

6. Copy and paste the 'tome' file from Disc 2 to your computer. Do not copy the entire CD. Instead, select 'tome', copy it, and paste it to your new folder.

7. Repeat the previous step for your remaining CDs. Remove Disc 2 and copy each 'tome' file from each of your other CDs (i.e. Discs 3-5).

8. Open your new folder and run the installer program. The game should install as normal.

(This procedure also works for any expansion pack)

Tech Note: World of Warcraft does NOT install to the Windows registry. You can actually copy the entire installed World of Warcraft folder from any location on your hard drive to another location, across a network, or other transfer medium. You can copy it to any operating system, including Windows, Mac, or any flavor of Unix/Linux without reinstalling it again. Great way to avoid having to re patch after install.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:17:02 PM by Azzaboi »
          Aaron's Game Zone
          The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
          Tech Note: World of Warcraft does NOT install to the Windows registry. You can actually copy the entire installed World of Warcraft folder from any location on your hard drive to another location, across a network, or other transfer medium. You can copy it to any operating system, including Windows, Mac, or any flavor of Unix/Linux without reinstalling it again. Great way to avoid having to re patch after install.

Actually, it does create registry entries for the install path and the path to the launcher.

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft

But you are right about copying it and Warcraft will work whether or not these registry entries are present. I always just download and install the patches on one computer, then just copy the entire thing to my other computers. I haven't actually reinstalled Warcraft in a couple years, just copied other existing installations from my other computers if one of them needs formatted or something.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
          • Aaron's Game Zone
            • Aaron's Game Zone
          « Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »
          Yes it created the registry when you run the game for the first time, as i said above:
          The good news is WoW doesn't setup the registry in the installer until you run 'wow.exe' to play the game. This means it can be easily manually installed.

It's an awesome way of programming. :)
          Aaron's Game Zone
          The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
          Ah, sorry. Missed that the first time. Speed reading FTL.