Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 2546 times)

tina1rules

Topic Starter

Intermediate

New Laptop
    « on: April 21, 2010, 05:20:57 PM »
    Totally new whoo hoo

Its an Hp with Windows 7

I have never owned a laptop. Nor have I ever ran Windows 7.

Tips and suggestions welcome!

mr-bisquit

Re: New Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »
    Since I don't use windows, I'll skip that part.
    Keep it clean, keep it secure, don't leave it laying around.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:55:40 AM »
    So....do you have a question?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »
    So....do you have a question?
    It's not a question as such, but did you read the first post?

I have never owned a laptop. Nor have I ever ran Windows 7.

Tips and suggestions welcome!

My suggestions - take the time to get acquainted with the operating system.  Don't worry about breaking anything, just try anything, you can always restore/reinstall and get back to how it was.
    Be careful with the laptop.  Try not to spill anything on it (food or drink), don't mash the keyboard, take care of the screen.  Make sure it has enough ventilation - laptops are best used on a nice flat hard surface like a desk, keep all the vents clear so it can breathe.  Take care of the battery - don't run the laptop plugged in all the time with the battery in as this will degrade it, instead you should take the cord out once in a while and run the battery down a good way, then plug back in to charge it up.  If you're using it on battery quite a lot obviously that doesn't apply.
    Play around with the laptop function keys.  I've known a lot of people to complain about their screen brightness - there's usually a key to control that, being familiar with it means you can turn it down to conserve battery or turn it up to see the screen in bright light.  Ditto for the wireless - if it's not working, maybe it's turned off, be familiar with the key to do so.

There are probably lots of tips I've missed, those are just a few off the top of my head so I'm sure others will chime in.

Oh, last but not least - enjoy it! :)

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
    Don't spill anything on it lol. Umm, get familar with the keyboard layout and you'll find your experience much more enjoyable. Keyboards are the main thing that differ between laptops.

As for Windows 7: I was a beta tester for Windows 7. But I don't use Windows anymore, I now use Ubuntu Linux. I personally like Ubuntu a lot better than Win7. If you can I'd recommend installing Ubuntu (10.04 is awesome and it comes out in 7 days) on your laptop.
    However I understand that some people prefer or need Windows for what they do. If you want to continue using Windows then Windows 7 by far the best. The biggest difference is the new taskbar, but most people like it once they figure it out.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 12:35:51 PM »
    As a new user of a laptop, you may find using a touchpad challenging at first.  If you find using a touchpad frustrating or annoying for any reason, a USB mouse can be easily be used with your laptop.  The smaller size mouse, sometimes called "mobile mice", are nice unless you prefer a regular, i.e. desktop, size mouse. Here are some: ttp://www.staples.com/Mice-Mice-Keyboards-Webcams/cat_DP1925.  I use one of these:Logitech V220 Cordless Optical Notebook Mouse, Black   When I use the mouse, I disable the touchpad.