Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My PC is totally dead  (Read 8565 times)

superdupermido1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

My PC is totally dead
    « on: April 25, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »
    hey guys ,

Here's my problem , a week ago my pc was working just fine , i travelled for 2 days and when i came back i turned it on , but nothing came on the screen .the pc is on but nothing appears on the screen .I tested the screen on my laptop and it's working . i used the motherboard's built in graphics card instead of the external one but no use , i replaced the RAM but no use . I removed the processor and put it back and still no use . After several trials and rsets , now the pc refuses to come alive . it's totally dead now . Can anybody help me please with a possible reason or a further troubleshooting to do ?

Sorry for the long post

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: My PC is totally dead
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:10:43 AM »
    You get a power-surge or brown out? If it's not beeping or any lights, it will be a fried motherboard (check the underneath for brown burn marks) or most probably the power supply is gone. Being a laptop will make it harder to repair. :(
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

superdupermido1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:34 AM »
      no it's a desktop not a laptop

superdupermido1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:46:28 AM »
        and what was the problem before it's totally dead now ? it was power on but nothing appears on the screen

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:15:10 AM »
        ... Can anybody help me please with a possible reason or a further troubleshooting to do ?...
        Read this:  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33328.0.html
        "...List as much about your computer as possible. This includes operating system (what version of Windows you are using), service packs, computer make/model, RAM, hard drive, sound and video cards, current adware/spyware/virus programs being used on a regular basis, do you have a "real" Windows CD, etc..."
        then post back.

Big Joe

Greenhorn
        • When In Doubt - Press Any Key
          « Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:26:01 AM »
          If your computer was powering on but you had nothing on the screen, my guess is that your video card had died, connecting it to the intergrated (onboard) video probably did not work because it was disabled in the bios due to having a seperate video card installed, uninstalling and reinstalling the memory and processor would have no effect on the video and it is possible that while doing so you have created a seperate problem.

If your computer does nothing at all,

The best way to troubleshoot this problem is start at the beginning of your power source, check to make sure there is power at your wall outlet. If no, check for blown fuse or breaker tripped. Also check that correct voltage is selected on back of power supply and that the on/off switch on back is set to I and not O.

Check that the fans on the power supply come on when you press the power button? If not, probably bad power supply, could be bad power button.
          If fans are on, check for any lights that light up on the motherboard, check for case, processor and video card fans running if yes to all, still could be bad video card.
          If possible take video card out and try it in a different computer, if it works in another computer and the video card requires a seperate power connector it could still be power supply has bad rail, maybe try using a different connector if you have a spare available and it's on a different rail. Could also be just needed to be reseated and that is why it worked in another system.

hope some of this helps...

I have been working with computers since the early to mid 80's, my fisrt computer was Northgate 386/20 and prodigy was my internet. Within a year, my almost $3000.00 computer was not worth a tenth of what I had paid for it. That was the only pre-built computer I have ever bought after I learned to build one.

superdupermido1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »
            the PC works again (the power cable wasn't plugged in properly) , but still nothing on the screen .. So it's most probably video card problem ? I will try to test another one soon

superdupermido1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »
              but i have a notice ... the screen doesnt display the "check signal cable" message when the cable is plugged into the vga card .... doesnt that mean that the card is working fine ?

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
                double check all your cables and if that doesn't work. turn off power and pull the video card out and plug monitor into onboard video and power up like big joe said the onboard video is disabled witha vid card installed. when you reboot windows the os will install a default driver for the video.

superdupermido1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »
                  double check all your cables and if that doesn't work. turn off power and pull the video card out and plug monitor into onboard video and power up like big joe said the onboard video is disabled witha vid card installed. when you reboot windows the os will install a default driver for the video.

i did that already ... i removed the vga card and plugged the cable in the onboard card , but that was no good ... i understood from big joe that i have to configure the bios for the onboard vga to work , dont i  ?

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »
                  Not necessarily, but without knowing ANY details about your system, we are unable to say much more. Please include system maker/model if from a major company, or motherboard if not, and the age of the PSU and the make/model number of it.

superdupermido1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:31:52 PM »
                    my pc is not a pre-built one ... i built it myself ... my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-945G-S3 , my processor is an intel pentium D 950(3.4 Ghz,4 M cache) , my PSU is over 3 years old and it's and HEC-300AR-TZ

superman54

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
                    if you have a 2nd system near by that you can interchange the parts to test out what it could be, that will help a lot. my problem is that i can not do that. i have 2 different types of motherboard pci express vs agp. from what i read you said you took your video card out of your system and tested it in another and it work? if so do the same with your cpu and ram, that will tell you if its your motherboard. you can do the same with your psu with the other system and you just did the process of elimination. mine is i dont' have the 2nd system to test out with. but if you can do that i think that will help you narrow it down. hope this here helped out.

superman54

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »
                    if your problem is the same as mine its your motherboard.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 07:05:27 PM »

A bold assumption...and no it may not be the MBoard.
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

superman54

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »
                    man i swear, really no one reads.  I said if your problem is identical to mine, cause if it is then it is your motherboard. man read!!!

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
                    Well that would be like saying "if you had the same dinner as me then it was a  "tuna fish tomatoe cheese and peanut butter sandwich"....

Not many people would admit to that...let alone try it...
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

superdupermido1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 06:38:18 AM »

You were right , it was the MB .. a chip was damaged and that caused th processor not to heat up