Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading to different motherboard questions.  (Read 16281 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Upgrading to different motherboard questions.
    « on: April 26, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
    First I want to thank everyone for the replies to my past post.

Now to my questions. Those that have replied probably know by now I have an old, old computer I'm tinkering with. Currently there is a P55-BT Motherboard in it from EPOX, I believe but not really sure, with Pentium MMX 200 processor. I am at the limit in regards to RAM and would like to know, if possible, if there are any motherboards I can find that will replace the P55-BT without having too many issues. What would I need to look for? It doesn't have to be top of the line for the day, just something that will make the computer a little faster, and I am pretty sure I need it in a AT form-factor.

I was checking out EBAY and there are quite a few, but I don't know what to browse for. Most of you will say trash it, but I don't want to do that. This is for learning purposes.

Thanks
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrading to different motherboard questions.
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »
    Learning is fine, I completely understand.  But why put any money into a computer that old?  A Pentium MMX 200 is just about 15 years old.  Better to spend the money building a new computer.  If you can find a replacement mobo for free, okay.  What are your goals and what is your budget?

A '69-Z28 has value in any condition, a 200MMX does not.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »
      Learning is fine, I completely understand.  But why put any money into a computer that old?  A Pentium MMX 200 is just about 15 years old.  Better to spend the money building a new computer.  If you can find a replacement mobo for free, okay.  What are your goals and what is your budget?

A '69-Z28 has value in any condition, a 200MMX does not.

I know about the Z28 I have a 1969 X33D80. Well to be honest with you it is the first computer I bought. It was an old 486 and the person I bought if from converted to the 200MMX. My 9 year old grandson is always bugging me to look up tips and tricks for the games he plays and I wanted to fix this up so he can do his own thing on it. He doesn't care anything about speed or whether its old or new, he just wants to get the info he wants.

I would think a lot of conversions were done back in the day and maybe someone has a better board than this laying around. As far as budget that depends on what used old motherboards are going for. If it isn't worth it I can make a decision to go or no go with the change. Like I said, it is a sense of accomplishment for me as well. If it is old and I can make it faster I want to do it.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »
      1.  I know about the Z28 I have a 1969 X33D80.
      2.  It was an old 486 and the person I bought if from converted to the 200MMX.
      3.  I would think a lot of conversions were done back in the day and maybe someone has a better board than this laying around.
      3.  As far as budget that depends on what used old motherboards are going for. If it isn't worth it I can make a decision to go or no go with the change.
      4.  Like I said, it is a sense of accomplishment for me as well. If it is old and I can make it faster I want to do it.
      1.  It's obvious from your screen name.  Don't know what the X33D80 is.  Option code maybe?
      2.  Not really, components were not as readily available as today and no eBay or very few internet resellers.
      3.  Used motherboard of the 200MMX vintage are worth more as scrap.
      4.  Maybe look for a Pentium II or Pentium III motherboard.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
        1.  It's obvious from your screen name.  Don't know what the X33D80 is.  Option code maybe?
        2.  Not really, components were not as readily available as today and no eBay or very few internet resellers.

X33 is a trim code and the D80 is front and real spoilers. Thanks for the time and info. I'll see if I can find something. If not, it will just have to be slow.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 01:22:31 PM »

I found this board. Will this be a good replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MATSONIC-MS7016S-Slot-1-Pentium-II-Motherboard-/180476799339?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motherboards&hash=item2a0541696b

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »
          They make terrible MBoards...
          But good luck.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
            They make terrible MBoards...
            But good luck.

Can you expand on that and tell me what is wrong with them?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »
            Can you expand on that and tell me what is wrong with them?

The bargain basement motherboard makers generally are nothing more than shoddy motherboards made by PCChips, and are to be avoided. Unfortunately, in this day and age of computer retailing, many of the computer shops get into too many price wars, and try to cut corners, and often times, use these awful motherboards. The brands that I am familiar with include Alton, Amptron, Eurone, Matsonic, Houston Technologies, and Hsing Tech. These companies use poor quality 4-layer PCB in their motherboards, and you can easily identify them by how easily they break when you bend them in your hands.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »
            I found this board. Will this be a good replacement?
            http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MATSONIC-MS7016S-Slot-1-Pentium-II-Motherboard-/180476799339?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motherboards&hash=item2a0541696b
            Your current motherboard is a Socket 7 (CPU socket), the one shown in the link is a Slot 1.  Your current CPU will not fit.
            P55-BT Manual

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »
              Your current motherboard is a Socket 7 (CPU socket), the one shown in the link is a Slot 1.  Your current CPU will not fit.
              P55-BT Manual

Ok thanks.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »
                Thanks for all the heads up info. Really good stuff.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:00:40 PM »
                I didn't look past p.8, but everything you need to know is in there.  A different motherboard isn't going to make it any faster, if you intend on using the same cpu, RAM, etc.

Look at the dates, they didn't make many motherboards to support the Socket 7.
                Pentium MMX Socket 7 was introduced 1/7/1997
                PII-Slot 1 introduced 5/7/1997

Moore's Law demonstrated
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:16:54 PM by Computer_Commando »

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »
                  I didn't look past p.8, but everything you need to know is in there.  A different motherboard isn't going to make it any faster, if you intend on using the same cpu, RAM, etc.

Let see, the RAM shouldn't be an issue to start. I found a gentleman locally that has loads of sticks. Other than the CPU what else is there? The graphics card, sound card. The computer is working right now, it just loads the pages a little on the slow side. What would fix that? Or am I even asking the right questions to begin with?

There is a lot more to just changing a motherboard then just swapping all the other internals from one board to another. So, is there a place to go to that has the kind of information step by step that someone would read/need to make something like this work or do I just fumble thru the dark and hope for the best? 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »

Look at the dates, they didn't make many motherboards to support the Socket 7.
                  Pentium MMX Socket 7 was introduced 1/7/1997
                  PII-Slot 1 introduced 5/7/1997

Incorrect. While the dates are correct, Slot 1 did <NOT> replace Socket 7; in fact, the processor on the slot card was still a Socket 7 processor.

Either way, they went back to Socket 7 (or, more precisely, Super Socket 7) for 98-2000. (you can still use standard Socket 7 processors in Super Socket 7 motherboards, I think)
                  I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.