Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading to different motherboard questions.  (Read 17475 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Upgrading to different motherboard questions.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
Incorrect. While the dates are correct, Slot 1 did <NOT> replace Socket 7; in fact, the processor on the slot card was still a Socket 7 processor.

Either way, they went back to Socket 7 (or, more precisely, Super Socket 7) for 98-2000. (you can still use standard Socket 7 processors in Super Socket 7 motherboards, I think)
Do you mean a Socket 370?  My P3 is a Slot1 with a Slocket adapter for a Socket 370.
I didn't mean to infer that it replaced it, rarely does a new standard completely replace the old, there has always been some overlap.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
Let see, the RAM shouldn't be an issue to start. I found a gentleman locally that has loads of sticks. Other than the CPU what else is there? The graphics card, sound card. The computer is working right now, it just loads the pages a little on the slow side. What would fix that? Or am I even asking the right questions to begin with?

There is a lot more to just changing a motherboard then just swapping all the other internals from one board to another. So, is there a place to go to that has the kind of information step by step that someone would read/need to make something like this work or do I just fumble thru the dark and hope for the best? 
Here's your other thread:  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,103646.0.html
You currently have 128MB RAM, but what OS are you using?

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
    This old thing had 98 on it and I installed XP to see if it would go on and it did with no issues. Right now I have it networked to 3 other computers in my home, 2 desktops and a laptop,all with XP, thru a wireless router. 3 are hard wired and one wireless. All working fine with no issues. I'm on the old one now.
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
    This old thing had 98 on it and I installed XP to see if it would go on and it did with no issues. Right now I have it networked to 3 other computers in my home, 2 desktops and a laptop,all with XP, thru a wireless router. 3 are hard wired and one wireless. All working fine with no issues. I'm on the old one now.
    WinXP will be slow with 128MB.  More memory will help.  See p. 2-8 of Manual for the available memory configurations.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 06:29:22 PM »
      WinXP will be slow with 128MB.  More memory will help.  See p. 2-8 of Manual for the available memory configurations.

I am looking at the page now 2-4 System Memory Configuration. I'm not sure what I'm looking at though. I have 128MB sticks in DIMM 1 and 2 but haven't made any changes to SIMM1 and 2, there is something there though.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
        What exactly is the difference between a slot 7 and a slot 1 motherboard then? Other than the Matsonic being a crappy board why wouldn't I not be able to use it? or is it that I won't be able to use my current cards and whatever with a slot 1? I think I getting a little confused now.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
          What exactly is the difference between a slot 7 and a slot 1 motherboard then? Other than the Matsonic being a crappy board why wouldn't I not be able to use it? or is it that I won't be able to use my current cards and whatever with a slot 1? I think I getting a little confused now.

Ok. I think I understand the slot deal. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just parted out an old computer my wife brought home from her job. It had 2 Pentium II SL2HA processors with heat sinks and fans, which I still have. These are slot 1 correct? Slot 7 I'm still researching.

I sent mail inquiring about that Matsonic MoBo (slot1) and the reply I rec'vd was the same as posted here not the same as my P55-BT which has a slot 7 processor. So is it safe for me to say that MoBo's don't come with processors, you have to buy that seperate or use what was on the old board? In which case that would do me any good?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »

Ok. I think I understand the slot deal. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just parted out an old computer my wife brought home from her job. It had 2 Pentium II SL2HA processors with heat sinks and fans, which I still have. These are slot 1 correct?

Slot 1 uses a slot.

socket 7 is a socket.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 09:25:59 PM »
          Do you mean a Socket 370? 

No. my Super Socket 7 motherboard was manufactured in late 1999. At which point they had abandoned the slot method (at least, Intel did, AMD gave it a try with some Athlons (Slot A).

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »
            Can we clarify the slot and socket? A slot is what a card, graphics, sound, a Pentium II processor (retangular black box)  can fit into and a socket is what?

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:32 AM »
            This is what a socket looks like, actually a ZIF(Zero Insertion Force).  Keep in mind some are different colors and different sizes.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]
            Evil is an exact science.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »
              This is what a socket looks like, actually a ZIF(Zero Insertion Force).  Keep in mind some are different colors and different sizes.

OK. Thanks. So if I happen to find a motherboard compatible to my needs it will not come with a processor normally. Correct?

Quantos

Guru
              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »

OK. Thanks. So if I happen to find a motherboard compatible to my needs it will not come with a processor normally. Correct?
              I didn't say that, that is just a picture of a ZIF socket.  Most used motherboards will probably have a processor on them.  As to whether or not they will work is another question entirely.
              Evil is an exact science.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »
                I didn't say that, that is just a picture of a ZIF socket.  Most used motherboards will probably have a processor on them.  As to whether or not they will work is another question entirely.

Sorry. That questions relates to one I had asked in an earlier post

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 09:58:44 AM »
                Most used motherboards will probably have a processor on them. 

No- most used motherboards are just that- used motherboards. they are pretty much only kept in stock for replacements, which means the same CPU will be used, so they are usually sold separately. Whatever the more probable scenario you should still check the product page/details to see if it includes the processor or not as required.