Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop comp. shutting down  (Read 3176 times)

michelle5564

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Desktop comp. shutting down
    « on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
    I have a desktop comp. that just shuts down for no reason. When it comes back on I get a message saying that windows has recovered from a serios error.
    I have windows xp. I have tried a system recovery and comp. won't stay on long enough to for me to get windows updates. I was going to change hard drive but don't know if that is the problem. I am using another comp. for now.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Desktop comp. shutting down
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:50:38 AM »
    Does the system reboot or shut down? If it reboots, when the computer first starts tap the F8 key to get to the boot options screen. Select the option that says "Disable Restart on Error" (that may not be the exact wording, but it's close) and reboot. Next time the system encounters an error you should see a blue screen error message. Post that entire message here. If you do not get a blue screen message and the system continues to reboot or shut down your problem is either hardware or malware related.

Big Joe

Greenhorn
    • When In Doubt - Press Any Key
      « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:56:56 AM »
      Allan is right, but also, is there a certain program or type of program that you are running when this happens? If you are playing graphic extensive games, it could be a heat related issue with your video card, and a lot of times if you do get blue screens it can be a driver error or possibly a memory error.  Just something else to think about...
      I have been working with computers since the early to mid 80's, my fisrt computer was Northgate 386/20 and prodigy was my internet. Within a year, my almost $3000.00 computer was not worth a tenth of what I had paid for it. That was the only pre-built computer I have ever bought after I learned to build one.

michelle5564

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »
        I did F8 and changed setting then restarted. Blue error screen only comes on for a second and I cannot read it. I've restarted several times and each time my desktop is either 1/4 of the screen too far to the left or the right, and cannot be moved.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:59:25 PM »
        Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery...uncheck Auto re-start on errors...
        Re-boot.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

michelle5564

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »
          Blue screen error I am recieving:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut sown to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select SAFE MODE.

Technical information:
          Stop: 0x00000074 (0x00000003,0x00000002,0x80087000, 0xC000014c

The only new things I have attached to my comp. are a monitor and a firewire card, both were installed almost 2 months ago. A laser mouse about a month ago.  Also, the monitor is a small television with PC input.     I have not had any problems with any of this until the last few days.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru