Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Display setting gets lost.  (Read 3222 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Dual Display setting gets lost.
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
This time I'm the one asking for help. I used to large LCD displays when I am using my computer. The computer I'm on now is a single core AMD CPU with just under two gigs of memory. The dual display card is one of the older ATI cards they came out a few years ago. The card works fine, the problem is my VGA switch box.
Sometimes I need to use another computer for certain things. One computer might be doing a backup or an update or some other such thing, and so I'll use the second computer to get on the Internet and do some surfing while the other machine does its thing. So that's why I use a VGA switch on one of the monitors.
Actually, both monitors are running VGA. I don't happen to have a digital cable at hand. But I don't think that's the problem. Sometimes I forget to turn the VGA switch to the correct position before I turn on the main computer. So then Windows comes up and doesn't see the second monitor and proceeds to turn off the little box that says extend my desktop. Here's the image below.

---------------------------------------------------------
So I have to go and manually enter in the option back on. But I was wondering, is there someway to tell Windows XP to leave that feature on, even if the monitor is off-line? Or, could I make a small batch file that could turn that option on so as to reduce the number of keystrokes in an annoyance?
It's not really all that important, it's just an annoyance. But, I recalll, I didn't seem to have this problem when I was using the old-fashioned CRT monitors. At least I don't recall having that problem. Does the fact that I'm using LCD monitors have something to do with this? Or does it have something to do with the video card I'm now using? I did recently changed the video card I use when I changed the machine I use. I'm not using my old Intel motherboard anymore, I opted to use this AMD board because it's faster and I can get more memory into it.
So, is there an easy fix? How can I keep the extended desktop on even if the monitor is off-line?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dual Display setting gets lost.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
The problem is because there is no monitor connected so your video card cannot acquire the DDC info for the monitor. Note that this would be an issue with nearly any monitor from about 1995 onwards.

Additionally, since you are using it for a dual display setup, Windows only sees a single monitor, and unchecks that option- just as you said.

I don't think you can force it on... just remember to plug the monitor in :P
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
I used to run dual CRT's with dual video cards and that's exactly how it functions.  Nothing I know that you can do about it.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
Thanks both of your. I was just hoping.
Now I will just have to remember to flick the switch before I boot up.

zero_defekz

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:32:12 PM »
    I think a KVM switch would solve this problem. (most) KVM switches have an auto scan feature, that will scan every X amt of seconds and "activate" the keyboard, video, and mouse so that both systems can "see" them.

With that said, you wouldnt have to manually flip the switch on your VGA splitter. Just hit the hotkey twice, and the auto scan will keep the connections active.

Usually the hotkey (depending on brand - most of my experience is with 2/4 port Linksys KVM switches) is either CTRL+CTRL (left or right, depending on which PC is hooked up to which port), or Scroll Lock+Scroll Lock

Best of luck!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:18:20 AM »
    I think a KVM switch would solve this problem. (most) KVM switches have an auto scan feature, that will scan every X amt of seconds and "activate" the keyboard, video, and mouse so that both systems can "see" them.

With that said, you wouldnt have to manually flip the switch on your VGA splitter. Just hit the hotkey twice, and the auto scan will keep the connections active.

Usually the hotkey (depending on brand - most of my experience is with 2/4 port Linksys KVM switches) is either CTRL+CTRL (left or right, depending on which PC is hooked up to which port), or Scroll Lock+Scroll Lock

Best of luck!

a KVM switch won't fix this, the issue is that the monitor is off entirely, so it simply doesn't send any information to the video card, so the video card figures there isn't a monitor there (which is a safe assumption)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
    I was asked a the exact same question by friend recently who has an identical setup. Despite much searching, I wasn't able to find any solution to this. BC's explanation is correct.