Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: acer laptop  (Read 2914 times)

Xpress

Topic Starter

Starter

acer laptop
    « on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:37 AM »
    I have just reinstalled my win xp on my acer laptop. I have installed drivers. However
    the wireless reception is not stable.  What I mean is when I am viewing wireless connections. I seem to be getting connected to different routers all the time. Though not allowing me to accces the internet. It works fine when cabled.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: acer laptop
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:51:36 AM »
    Did you install the chipset driver? Not saying that's the problem, but if you didn't it may be a contributor.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:15:31 AM »
    Try checking your device manager first by checking that all hardware are working properly. If there is a yellow exclamation specifically on networks, modems, processor... then you need to update or you were not able to install some driver(s) for your laptop.

Xpress

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 05:16:35 AM »
      I downloaded and installed the drivers from Acer 's website

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 06:49:05 AM »
      What I mean is when I am viewing wireless connections. I seem to be getting connected to different routers all the time. Though not allowing me to accces the internet.
      You have neighbors nearby who have computers, right?  So, you computer is recognizing a signal from their wireless router.  There's nothing unusual about this.  Right now, my notebook PC sees 5 routers other than mine.  But, all the others are indicated as "Security-enabled network", which tells me they have WEP or WPA wireless security enabled in their router.  And, therefore, I cannot connect to them. 

In the past, one or more those nearby routers my notebook PC sees was not secured.  And, feeling mischievous, I did connect to one of them.

So, as long as your wireless connection is stable, you're doing fine.  You're not really "getting connected" to the Internet via those other routers.  Your computer is just detecting their wireless signal.