Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I CAN'T GET ON MY COMPUTER!!  (Read 4551 times)

sharayasantos

Topic Starter

Starter

I CAN'T GET ON MY COMPUTER!!
    « on: April 29, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »
    Okay, so there is a post for this prob already but there's no solution. The person who posted it found help else where sooooo...here's my problem

I can't get on to my computer. i have Windows XP. Everytime I start my computer it goes as far as the blue load up bar and then it goes to the black screen that says windows has encountered a problem blah blah blah and gives me the options of starting it in safe mode down to the last thing that worked (sorry i don't remember the precise wording but you know what i mean). Every option that i choose it restarts and goes back to the black screen. So then press F8 when it restarts i believe, and i choose the option so that the computer does not restart when it encounters a problem and it gave me the "blue screen of death"?? Is there anyway i can fix this problem without wiping out my system because i've had this computer for the pass 6 years and have had to wipe it out atleast 4 times in that time? and if i do have to wipe it out can someone tell me how to do that because i'm switching my OS to windows 7 anyway so i would;ve had to eventually do that but i have 3,000+ songs and pictures that i would like to salvage first.

someone please help meeeeee!!!!!

sharayasantos

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: I CAN'T GET ON MY COMPUTER!!
      « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
      oh yeah and i don't have a windows XP disc of any kind and a friend is letting me borrow his windows 7 so i don't even have that in my possession yet =(

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »
      Is your hard drive 6 years old, also?  Any unusual noises from your hard drive before this happened?

Regarding Win 7, have you taken any steps to verify your system can run Win 7 for what you normally do with your computer?

Regarding the files you very much want to recover, I suggest using an Ubuntu Live CD to retrieve your files.  Ubuntu is a Linux OS (operating system).  If you have no familiarity with any of the Linux OS, this approach may be something you do not want to delve into.  Anyway, by Ubuntu Live CD, I mean that you can run Ubuntu off the CD drive; you do not need to install it on your hard drive.  And, if you could do this, you would be able to browse the files on your hard drive via Ubuntu and copy them to a flash drive or possibly burn them to CD/DVD it you have a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive.   A reference: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »
      What's the blue screen error message?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:38:59 AM »
      a friend is letting me borrow his windows 7

This is piracy. Read the forum rules.

sharayasantos

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
        oh lord. okay i wont borrow his windows....well if i can just fix mine i won't need it....yes, my hard drive is 6 yrs old...it doesnt make weird noises tho..do you think i'm going to need a new hard drive all together?

btk1w1

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:16:28 AM »
          Windows 7 has a 30 day activation period, Piracy isn't an issue unless the activation procedure is circumvented.

I can empathize with your plight sharayasantos.

In your case I wouldn't borrow beg or steal an operating system from anybody if you can help it.

Instead you could place the HDD into an external enclosure and slave it to another pc to copy the files from it onto other external media.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 02:21:10 AM »
          Windows 7 has a 30 day activation period, Piracy isn't an issue unless the activation procedure is circumvented.

Isn't the act of installation to more than the number of licensed computers a piratical deed?

btk1w1

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 02:42:34 AM »
            I stand corrected. Apologies Salmon Trout.

I had to pick up my OEM copy of Win 7 and read the EULA.

Quoted in bold:

"Unless the software is activated, you have no right to use it after the time permitted for activation"

and to read on basically says no-one has permission to use the OS DVD but the license holder after activation.

:-\

mat123

Hopeful

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »
            "Unless the software is activated, you have no right to use it after the time permitted for activation"
            that just means after 30 days you cant use until you activate

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 08:55:06 AM »
            that just means after 30 days you cant use until you activate

... and your point is?