Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to look for printers  (Read 2651 times)

smlh89450

Topic Starter

Beginner

Unable to look for printers
    « on: April 30, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.  When I click on the control panel and click on "Devices and Printers," nothing new comes up.  The green bar at the top shows that something is loading, but nothing ever does.  Also, when I go to print a Microsoft Word document and I select "Find a printer" in the print window, an error comes up saying "The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable."  The strange thing is that I have no problems printing or adding printers, I just have problems with viewing printers, changing default printers, etc.  Does anyone have any advice for me?

btk1w1

Rookie

Re: Unable to look for printers
      « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:41:19 AM »
      Is your pc part of a domain?

If it is there will likely be restrictions in place put there by the systems administrator as to what you have access to, usually the restrictions apply to control panel with shared devices, permissions, software restrictions etc...

If you are the administrator of the domain you will need to log onto the server to view permissions, devices and maybe will need to take a look at the MMC console.

smlh89450

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »
        No, my PC is not part of a domain.  I think that this is a problem with my computer and not a network.  Does anyone know if the problem is the Active Directory Domain Services?  How do I enable this service?

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced

smlh89450

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
          Okay, I figured out half of the problem.  The Windows Firewall was blocking this option for some reason.  I added an exception for the service.

However, I still cannot select "find a printer" because the service is not running.  I went to "Services" and could not find the "Active Directory Domain Services" on the list.

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 03:33:31 AM »
          Have you installed all the relevant drivers for the printer? Without these your printer will not be located.. if the printer did not come with a disk then look up there website and check there.. if you are having problems with finding them tell us and we will help you locate them.

smlh89450

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:38:38 AM »
            Yes, I believe that all drivers are installed.  The printer works fine.  I am just asking how to turn on the Active Directory Domain Services.